Tony Boyers HV Barrel

Andy Shifflett

There seems to be some confusion as to what kind of barrel TB shot on his HV rifle so just to clear the air the barrel was a Bartlein. The twist was a 15 to 14 1/4 gain twist.

TB ask me to post this so there would be no misunderstanding.

Andy

Andy - Last night, I updated my reference to his HV rifle to clarify it was a new Bartlein barrel on an old Hart action.

jks

A .169 Grand is something that most of us will never even get close to...

Wonderful shooting, Tony.

Congrats.

...I just pulled up the NBRSA records on this site,and it lists a grand agg record of .1496 by Bill Forester in 1989. Is this correct?

Glenn
Glen, this was in the IBS. Tony shot a .1414 agg. last year at St Louis in IBS also. He's just an old IBS guy I guess!!

I'm sure I'll be corrected if I'm wrong but I'm pretty sure it's a non-constant twist rate, starts slow and increases down the barrel. Within the context of the last post, it sounds like it starts at 1:15 and increases to 1:14.25. Doesn't sound like much, not sure why that should be an advantage.

gain twist

the twist increases as it progresses towards the muzzle.

This is supposed to be easier on the bullet ect.

I tried one more than 10 yrs ago on a rimfire barrel.. seems like there was a company then called Gaintwist.. Seems like somebody back then won the IR 50/50 sporter class with one..

mine was not very good.

Kirk

gain twist

I think Tony could shoot a smooth bore and win,dont really think it makes much differance what that man uses!!!!

hailey,

I think Tony would disagree with you ;)

If anyone understands his equipment and how to make it work it's TB. He simply knows enough to cull, quickly and efficiently. He won't go to the line with bad gear.

al

This is supposed to be easier on the bullet ect.\

Is this really so............? I've been lead to believe that a gain twist is just the opposite... In that changing the angle of lands on the ingraving of the jacket "can" cause bad effects on the jacket... Like tering of the jacket or separation of the jacket/core.. Deformation of the jacket....
Mabe a little gain twist is OK... Like 1" over 20" length of barrel....? Guess the bad results are from real aggresive gain twist...?

Either way I believe that Tony can agg in a rock throwing contest.:D

cale

Progressive Twist Barrels

Is Bartlein the only manufactor that is currently producing
the "progressive gain twist" barrels?

How long have "p-g-t" barrels been availible to competition
shooters and who makes the machines?

Thanks....Vic

Gain twist have been around for a while but were very hard to do until Bartlien designed their own CNC machines for cut rifling.

Hovis

To answer a few questions which I know will raise some also but here it goes.

No one built our rifling machines. We did, along with the bore reamer machine. The machines have far exceeded our expectations. What we can do with the rifling machines has been extraordinary. We also have patents pending on them also.

As far as the gain twist type barrels. We are calling them "T" style rifling (transitional). Why? Simply because we can cut any twist we/the customer wants. Straight conventional style twist, a very uniform slow gain type twist or a radical gain type twist.

We can enter anything the customer wants. The tooling still plays a part and can effect the cost of the barrel on a gain type twist.

Who wants or uses gain twist type barrels? Gain twist type barrels have been around forever. It was used a lot back in Popes day with the false muzzle loaders shooting lead type bullets. A lot of lead bullet shooters and rimfire shooters have asked us to do barrels for them. Also shooters shooting the new solid machined type bullets with driving bands on them want a gain twist type barrel. Supposedly it's easier on the driving bands as the bullet enters the rifling. Also in bigger calibers like 20mm etc...the gain twist is used. Mostly because you are starting a very heavy bullet into the barrel. Most 20mm cannon rounds have a bullets that weigh around .75 pounds. Not like shooting your standard .308 150gr. bullet hey!

Is it for everyone? At this point in time I would say no still. Also remember gain twist type barrels back when had a radical type gain. The one that Tony and couple of other guys have are not a drastic type gain. The couple that Tony has only goes from a 1-15 at the breech to 1-14.25 at the muzzle. It didn't seem to hurt him at all at the Nationals. He picked the twist and we made it for him.

I would agree with the general statement that most gain twist type barrels don't shoot conventional jacket/lead core bullets well or should I say extremely temperamental. Now a slight gain seems to be o.k. after what Tony's did.

Yes there was a company several years ago that was called The Gain Twist Barrel Co. If I'm correct it was owned or co-owned by Steve Garbe. If any of you know Steve he was also one the guys who was helping run Ballard Rifle and Cartridge up until a few years ago. Steve had told me that even just a 1/2 a gain twist from breech to muzzle the barrels shot better (with lead bullets, I don't know about jacketed bullets). For us we need more testing to be done. Both on our end and out in the real world. What is the magic receipe for a certain shooter or caliber etc...we don't have the magic book for that. Maybe with the new technology that is available to us it can lead us into different areas.

Anyways we can do things like this custom twist in our barrels for customers who want them.

Later, Frank @ Bartlein Barrels

Lets take the Gaintwist back a few years to the bigger Guns (navy guns)
The Gain twist was developed or employed and used to get the Big Bullets moving (with heavy charges) without the pressures assiciated with conventional rifling.

Clarence

Back