Titanium Screws for benchrest stand

B

Bob Boldman

Hi all, I am considering replacing the leveling screws on my benchrest stand. I would like to know which grade of titanium material would be recommended for durability?
oh wait I should backup a bit. Your properly wondering why change screws? On my rest the V on the screws are too sharply pointed so they are loose in Pumpkins (Don Neilson) pads, thus possible movement. I have also considered using SS screws for posts and have considered JB the holes in the pads then re-drill, however will it last? and yes, there is the option to make my own feet...but I have Pumpkins. Your suggestions please.
Bob

For wear resistance, press in carbide replacement centers that are ground at 60° into your legs.

center%20tip.jpg

Last edited:
DSM and Don

I think I was trying to over react for the simplest of things. I don't have a holder to grind points on the grinder cleanly, however Rick Graham of Graham Flags called me last night after reading my post. The issue is resolved... but I wont leave you hanging and just in case there are others whom may have the same issue. Rick suggested I use round 6061 AL that will meet the same OD of the knob (I have AL), drill the center of the round AL the same diameter as the rest screw full length, slit in length the round AL then assemble screw with slit sleeve in the lathe chuck. I have a dremel tool with the extension line to mount in a tool holder. I can then grind to the 60 degree needed. Of course cover the lathe bed to avoid grit on the ways; I have everything I need. .
Thanks DSM and Don for responding to my post. Don, hope you can make to the Sniper King in July!

Bob

Of course cover the lathe bed to avoid grit on the ways; I have everything I need. .
Thanks DSM and Don for responding to my post. Don, hope you can make to the Sniper King in July!

Bob

I have to say, the friend who lets me use his lathe to chamber my barrels would probably kill me or any person who came near his lathe with a grinder.
Dick

Dick, if done properly by covering the ways of the lathe it is not a problem. Do diligence is the key. But I do understand your concern and that is appreciated. Thanks..
Bob

Bob, no need to grind anything. The carbide centers come already ground at 60°. All you have to do is face your screws, bore a slightly undersized hole and press them in. They can be purchased at MSC for a few $$$ and come in different sizes. My rest legs are 1/2-20 and wear 3/8" carbide centers.

DSM
Yes I saw the tip on your previous post, good point (pun not intended). I think I still would have to sandwich the screws between AL and center on the lathe to drill the holes straight. Thanks for your suggestion, I like it. Oh also, Thanks for telling me where to buy the tips.
Bob

Back