Tips on making wind flags.

B

Bresk

I have made my self some wind flags, but I am not quite happy yet. Is there someone who has some tips on what form, and materials that will work best? The ones I have made now do respond quite fast, but it happens now and then that I get the tail into the propeller. I think maybe I need another propeller form. I see that there are many different models to by, but I guess that you people that have the experience knows what works, and what does not.

For the price Rick Graham charges I threw the many styles I have tried to build over the years in the garbage and bought his. Way cheaper in the long run.

If you go to Benchrest Central Home, and click Articles, ther is a wind flag construction article near the bottom of the page. DW;)

I have made my self some wind flags, but I am not quite happy yet. Is there someone who has some tips on what form, and materials that will work best? The ones I have made now do respond quite fast, but it happens now and then that I get the tail into the propeller. I think maybe I need another propeller form. I see that there are many different models to by, but I guess that you people that have the experience knows what works, and what does not.

For what Wilbur or I get for flags I really doubt you can truly justify building your own. Especially when you have to throw a number of them away i the design phase

Wind Flag Cost (6 flags)

Go to the local hobby shop and pick up

1pc of brass tubing $2, for pivots

1pc of piano wire $2, for pivots

6 wood dowels @ $1pc $6, Anchors pivots to stands

6 key rings @ $2 (for tails)

Use corrigated plastic(disguarded "new home" shot gun signs)
for the vanes. Cut them twice as big as the B/R article.
Cost? FREE!!!

Paint $6 for two cans. I green ,1 red

Stands, Look for them on sale at Radio Shack @ $9 pc. $54

Total cost $72 for 6.

I have seen my buddies spend $30 per stand. Thats $180 with
with no vanes or tails.

Do they perform? Mr Watson used them to get in the HOF
per Wilber H...

Oh, I forgot the surveyers tape @ $2 a roll. Make that $74
for 6.

If you are on a tight budget this might help you out....Vic

Last edited:
Ed Watson

Ed beat us on the left and he beat us on the right using those flags. Far as I know he never used anything else. He did use braided yarn for tails rather than surveyors tape.

Wilber

Thanks for the back up.

I have been using these Watson flags for about two years
and like them alot.

I'm going to try the "braided yarn" tails. Thanks for the tip.

Vic

I have to agree with Tony. Rick Graham makes a great flag for a very reasonable price. I used mine today and they did their job exceptionally well. Purchase one and see how it performs. You won't want anything less. Art

The Best Flags

I have shot over flags that I made over the years. It wasn't worth the effort. When you see the quality and the VERY Reasonable price of Rick Grahams I put mine in the trash and bought his. Just look over the range and see how many good shooters are using Rick's flags. ---Bill

Thanks for replies. There are two reasons that i prefer to make them my selves. First, that’s just the way I am. One learns by doing. The other is that I have plenty of materials like this for free at work, and sometimes even time to do it.. The ones I have made do not look so different from the ones made by Mr Graham, but maybe I should order a few and try them.
Could you please explain what that “braided yarn” is?
Is the black and white ball weighted? I have had the idea that one needs the propeller to se wind speed, but maybe not?

... The ones I have made do not look so different from the ones made by Mr Graham, but maybe I should order a few and try them. QUOTE]

Good idea !!! You won't regret it. I know of no one who didn't like Rick Graham's flags once they gave them a try. Here's some pictures. Art

Attachments

• big & regular vein.JPG
    big & regular vein.JPG
    21 KB · Views: 2,964
  • Flags in Box.jpg
    Flags in Box.jpg
    27.5 KB · Views: 2,739
  • flagsonrange_3.jpg
    flagsonrange_3.jpg
    94.9 KB · Views: 3,492
Ric Graham flags

although Watson flags and a exotic set I use for "special" occasions are my flags of choice as I like to make my own stuff. The Graham flags sure are nice for the value. The first set of 6 coat hangers and post stands with string and srerelized EXtra large cottonballs, brazed and sharpened tips and delrin pivots 23 yrs. ago was state of the art, so I thought. Where they worth 100.00 no but ya gotta have em ! I think they came with some special screws but could never figger out where they went to. It seems like every time I sit down to ponder about it I get a real pain in the butt and loose my concentration :eek: :p if it was'nt for aging I'd be even "dummer" :rolleyes:

Arrows...

... The ones I have made do not look so different from the ones made by Mr Graham, but maybe I should order a few and try them. QUOTE]

Good idea !!! You won't regret it. I know of no one who didn't like Rick Graham's flags once they gave them a try. Here's some pictures. Art

I like the idea of the arrows. It may help some new people from making a wrong shot. Or maybe an older person.

Be careful,
Victor

Back