Threading close to a shoulder

E

eww1350

I am looking for a threading tool/insert that will let me thread closer to a shoulder when threading the fine 24-28 TPI on barrels...I have a fine Kennametal tool and it has inserts suited for 32 TPI, but it is still wide enough at the base that I must stop leaving a .100+ area that looks unsightly...would love to find a half profile inserted tool that is specifically for 24-32 TPI...

Any ideas..??

Eddie in Texas

Grind the side of the insert to reduce the width. You may also have to modify the tool holder. Diamond grinding wheels work well for this application.

Grind the side of the insert to reduce the width. You may also have to modify the tool holder. Diamond grinding wheels work well for this application.

I can't both of my tool holders have the insert retaining screw on the side...I was hoping someone made a half profile insert....

Thanks

Eddie in Texas

Grind a HSS tool for use on those threads. Usally done so the tool is at an angle in the holder. Ican try taking a picture of one of mine.

Doesn't anyone know how to grind a tool bit anymore?

Last edited by a moderator:
Eddie
Try relieving the threads in the action and not worrying about the .100+ at shoulder. The concentric diameter at the shoulder by not threading close to it will make a less heat sensitive barrel seat.
BV

Doesn't anyone know how to gring a tool bit anymore?

You took the words rite out of my mouth......& If your like some, who dont like machining 400 series ss. with hss, go with a good old fashon soft carbide "100"? I like a little extra top reliefe to break the chip & it runs a little cooler. jmo. Ed.

Eddie
Try relieving the threads in the action and not worrying about the .100+ at shoulder. The concentric diameter at the shoulder by not threading close to it will make a less heat sensitive barrel seat.
BV

With a 24-32 thread pitch he's not threading for an action. Most likely he is threading the muzzle for a brake or a suppressor.

The threading tool from Warner with the HSS inserts will let you get plenty close enough. If you're not capable of disengaging at the proper time then get an adjustable die and run it up against the shoulder after you finish your final threading pass.

Get a LH insert thread holding tool and turn it upside down and then thread away from the shoulder you don't want to run in to. Just make sure when you start you have enough travel for the infeed for the depth of thread that you will not run into the shoulder.

HTH
John

Get a LH insert thread holding tool and turn it upside down and then thread away from the shoulder you don't want to run in to. Just make sure when you start you have enough travel for the infeed for the depth of thread that you will not run into the shoulder.

HTH
John

That really is a good way to do it! You might also try using an internal threading tool run bass-ackward

Sandvik makes full profile and partial profile inserts that will thread pretty close to the shoulder. The thread relief in the photo was cut with a 1/16 inch parting tool (.0625). That is a size 16 (3/8) 28 tpi insert in the tool.

They come in four sizes to fit just about anyone’s preference. One inch, ¾”, 5/8” and ½”.
SandvikTopView.jpg

The larger ones have screws that are on the side of the tool holder, but they do not protrude past the side of the insert.
SandvikSideView.jpg

Back