This Pratt Burnerd Adjustable 3 Jaw worth it?

DSM

Chuck
I been wanting a 6" adjustable type 3 jaw chuck for more repeatability than my standard scroll chuck. I came across this Pratt Burnerd adjustable 3 jaw chuck. Its a 8-1/4" with no back plate. I believe a D1-4 back plate runs around $260-270 ish which is no big deal if the chuck is worth it.

He wants $250 plus $50 for shipping. Is this a deal or something to pass on?

$_571.JPG

$_572.JPG

$_573.JPG

$_574.JPG

I'm using the same chuck and like it better than the Buck 6 jaw chuck. The 6 jaw chucks are limited as to how small a piece you can hold in the chuck. The 3 jaw Pratt Burnerd chuck will hold a pretty small diameter piece. Price wise, you are looking at considerably less than new pricing. Mine is a 6" chuck.

Thanks Jerry and Mike!

I asked a couple questions regarding run out and if he tested it to see if the scroll works smoothly. He replied with "Yes it runs great no runout also its adjustable with the 3 screws not a lot of them around plua made in the usa"

I really don't think he knows anything about this chuck nor tested it. Aren't they made in UK/England?

I just don't want to buy it, get a back plate($270) and find out it needs rebuilt. That is my only concern with it. Also, I would really prefer a 6" opposed to an 8"

Thanks Jerry and Mike!

I asked a couple questions regarding run out and if he tested it to see if the scroll works smoothly. He replied with "Yes it runs great no runout also its adjustable with the 3 screws not a lot of them around plua made in the usa"

I really don't think he knows anything about this chuck nor tested it. Aren't they made in UK/England?

I just don't want to buy it, get a back plate($270) and find out it needs rebuilt. That is my only concern with it. Also, I would really prefer a 6" opposed to an 8"

Looks like a 4 screw adjustable to me, and know that just because it is adjustable does not make it any more repeatable than your existing scroll chuck, if that is your sole criteria for switching.

Also, beware that you are going to need more than just a standard flat backplate, you will need to machine or purchase a backplate with a stepped shoulder in order to facilitate the adjustable chuck screws.

a three jaw chuck with no runout - where do I sign UP!
Does he have any rifles that will shoot .25 all day long?
I am in the market.

Yeah...there are 4 adjusting screws.

I know I would need a unique backplate for it and machining it is not a problem. MSC has one for like $260 with two discount coupons.

Anyhow, I passed on it regardless of the price. The thing would have been close to 50 pounds with the backplate....I don't need a three jaw that big. I hate lifting and attaching a heavy chuck. I will keep my eye out for a 6" or even buy a new one if I run across some extra cash. The 20% coupon and free shipping enco offers on occasion would be the way to go.

The reason I want an adjustable 3 jaw is for the consistency and the option to adjust run out if I happen to need to. I use a three jaw an aweful lot and a good set tru or set rite or adjust tru would be my main workholding workhorse!

a three jaw chuck with no runout - where do I sign UP!
Does he have any rifles that will shoot .25 all day long?
I am in the market.

Unfortunately, those .25" rifles all day long anymore in good conditions will get you middle of the pack. :rolleyes:

Unfortunately, those .25" rifles all day long anymore in good conditions will get you middle of the pack. :rolleyes:

Mike, a teen agg doesn't do much at the big shoots. At St Louis Jeff Summers had an 0.18 agg and he was in 22nd place! My 0.21 at the Shamrock only got me a 10th and that is a small shoot.

Back