Thinning Cutting Oils for Muzzle Flush System

ewspears

My new lathe came with a coolant system so I incorporated a GreTan Muzzle Flush Attachment and got some Oak 700 (Same as Valcool 700) Water Soluble Oil Coolant. I mixed at 10:1 instead of the recomended 20:1 Water.

The new system worked great so far as flushing chips from chamber reamer but it was obvious it was not doing near as well at lubricating/protecting reamer cutting edges as Rigid Threading Oil or MobilMet Omega!

Mobil's new series of Sulferized Mineral cutting Oils is their 700 Series. They come in differing viscosities just like Omega, Alpha, & Sigma, Series. The only one I could get in 5 gal pails is 766. It is about the same viscosity and duty as MobilMet Omega.

I chambered a couple of barrels with Mobilmet 766 in the Muzzleflush system.
It worked GREAT so far as lubricating/protecting reamer cutting edges but the viscosity cut the flow down to where it wasn't doing a very good job of flushing chips.

Now the Queation: What solvant would be recommended to reduce the viscosity of the MobilMet Omega or 766??? I'm thinking Low Odor Mineral Spirits but would like some guidance!:confused:

Two things you have going against you with your current system.
1. Fluid pumps today on most recent lathes are medium volume, low pressure.
Your pump will not move enough higher viscosity fluid at sufficient pressure
to move it through the gaps at the ID of the bushing.
2. The pump you have may not hold up to oil based fluids. Be careful.

I would reccomend looking at (building)a seperate system with a gear pump, sump, volume control valve, on/off switch and coupling. You allready have the coupling. I used a boiler burner ( Beckett) pump and motor, and a sump that is am ammo can. Fit up nicely inside the front lower cover on my Whaceon. Quick disconect fitting is surface mounted on the gear train cover on the left end of the lathe near the spindle. I catch the overflow in a pan and run it through a fine micron filter and reuse it. This also allows the use of the water base system that is built in from the get go.

Back