The Cactus and the SW Director

Tom Libby

I might be a little bias being the SW Director, damn what a way to run a match and its not to take away form other ranges that hold matches as they have to work with the amount of shooters that attend to take care of the range officer, scorer and target crew.

I know that the majority of the shooters in the Benchrest community think that they are falling off the end of the earth when they come to the West Coast to shoot. But when you can have a Tournament with the second most shooters in attendance and have it ran as smooth as this one did. They had minimal issues but took care of it quickly, the longest was when someone shot after the cease fire command and would not own up to it at first but most of can’t hear worth a damn and when we put in the ear plugs and muffs we could have a belly dancer next to us and well maybe that a little far fetched but you get my thought.

I was very proud of my region and how they did and will make my last year as director very proud to have had Berger Bullets put this much time, effort into a match and it was a nice touch for them to turn off the heavy wind that we get sometimes.

I want to thank all the sponsors that donated all the prizes in support of benchrest shooters and its great how Berger has your picture taken with your prize and have the thank you cards ready for you to make a thankful comment for the donation so the sponsor will at least know he/she was appreciated. So many times this is something that gets passed by from the shooter.

I want to thank all the shooters that came this year to the Cactus and please tell your fellow shooters that missed it this year what they missed.

Good Shooting to All
Thank You
Tom Libby SW Director

Tom - I've never had enough money to shoot there and then shoot here. Wish I had, but I never did.

This must be a really, really cool shootin' match!

It was a very well run match. You can just about tell how well run a match is by seeing how quickly the targets are scored and put on the wailing wall. I'd walk by the targets on the way back up to shoot and the previous target was always hung by the time you were ready to shoot again. At about 2 pm Friday, I hadn't made my way down to the stat house to get my registration packet. She came and looked me up. The first time I've ever had that happen. The Cactus was very good last year and I'm not sure that it wasn't better this year. Hard to top the previous year, but I think they did. It's definitely a plus having Berger take the time to run the match. I'm sure that as shooters we see very little of what it takes to pull off a match of this magnitude and quality.

Tom, sorry to hear that this will be your last year as director.

Back