Switching bullet lot# Berg 6.5 130vld

Larry M

When I started shooting this rifle I began with 1500 of Berger's 6.5 130gr vld match grade bullets lot# 1407. Well I'm almost out and mentioned it at a match and a fellow shooter said he had 600 that he wouldn't be using all same lot#. I had him bring em to the next match. Well these were some of the newer TARGET VLD bullets lot# 1752. They .040 longer in the bearing surface. I know Berger made some changes for Target vs Hunting bullet. I believe making the jackets thicker for the target bullets to prevent blow-ups. I hadn't heard about any other changes like length. The ogive and boat tail profiles appear the same. Does any one know more about any changes? I am also interested in what changes I might experience in the load. I know that I will have to readjust my seater ALOT and now the base of the bullet will extend into the shoulder of the case. How will this affect pressure, is the load likely to want more or less powder, is it likely to want more or less jam? I am trying to get a head start on the testing to save some barrel life and components. I would never had expected to experience this large of a dimensional change.
Larry

Switching Berger Lots

I went through this with two different lots of the 7mm 180gr Target VLDs. The short answer in my gun was that I used the same load and seating depth but didn't mix the lots of bullets. Maybe just a luck and circumstance, but I had the same concerns you have and there was no problem. The lot to lot variation I have found in successive lots of the same part number Bergers has been in line with what you have observed. I don't think it has anything to do with the change from thin to thick jackets. Mine have all been Target bullets.

These are not the same part# the originals were from before they started using different bullets or jackets for target or hunting. I can't help but think the pressure has to go up with .040 more bearing surface. I think I might load a few old cases with the new lot bullets and the same charge and see what kind of velocity I get and go from there.

It's not been uncommon for the Target VLDs with thicker jackets to have slightly longer bearing surfaces.

This won't affect your seating depth because the seating die will place the ogive in the same proximity with the riflings. The only concern, as you mentioned, is if your brass develops a doughnut, and the extra bearing surface length causes the base/heel of the bullet to interfere.

The possibility of developing extra pressure from the thicker jackets was discussed from the point of view that the thicker copper might have a higher engraving force, and the extra bearing surface might create more friction. However, the observation of many shooters who've switched from standard to thick jackets has been that there is no noticeable pressure or velocity difference between the two jackets. Of course I encourage everyone to share their experience on this topic.

Since the ogive and BT are the same, the BC is essentially unaffected, so the bullets will fly the same too.

Personally, I shoot the 180 VLD's in a .284 Win. I shoot the Hunting and Target VLD's interchangeably. My loads, groups, and zeros are identical for both types of bullets.

-Bryan

Your right Bryan, there is no difference in loading either bullet. Unless your throat is eroding really fast using those 130's in a 6.5 x 47. If i remember correctly, the thicker jacket was better suited for a longer, fast twist barrels like a 30" because of the RPM's and the time the bullet is kept at that RPM. It took away some if not all the bullets from blowing up.

Well Funny guy as it happens it is. I was wondering why I have been having problems. The lands have move about .015 out. So I loaded some of my old bullets out to the same amount of jam that they used to have and I had some from the original depth left over from the match I went out just now to compare them and the ones i put in the lands didn't shoot as good as my old load. So Im gonna play with the depth a little in the next week. I have enough old bullets for one more match. I've read Berger's article about VLDs and jumping. Then I hope to have a the new bullets ready for Dec.:)

Never fear a phone call to Berger, they like to help the shooter with any information they have in regards to there products, these folks understand that the shooter and his success is all about their business.

Back