Superior Action Rifle, Dryden NY

Snert

Hello,
I am researching and attempting to catalog all 31 of the Superior Action Rifles built by Ross Sherman of Dryden NY. I am not attempting to buy them or blab about who has one! Rather, i am interested in them because I live near Dryden, have located several already, and want to write an article about them and Ross. I am collecting photos, history, stories, targets, anecdotes etc. If you have one, or had one, and can share any information, please contact me.

Ross was instrumental in button rifling, Remington arms, and was worked closely with Harts, Shilen, and Mike Walker.

Any help would be appreciated. PM please.

Snert

superiour action

Ross was in the process of buying back his actions and had some until his passing.
A close friend STEVE BORSH had some of his actions. Steve was the Brew Master for Miller brewing.
Sorry I don't have more for you.

Superior Actions

I have accounted for 7. I appreciate the info people have sent, and old PS articles. Fascinating info. If anyone knows about the Borsch-owned rifles and where they are, I would appreciate leads. Again, not buying or blabbing, just interested in history.

Snert

Superior actions

I have had several PMs and members have forwarded old PS articles. If anyone has one of these guns, or recalls seeing one, competing against one, please let me know. I am gathering anecdotal info as well. Thanks in advance.

Snert

I have serial no 17L small bolt face. in a shilen raygun stock. This was a HV that I shot way back. I will part with this gun for a very reasonable price,

Larry Baggett

17L Superior Action

Please PM me for an email address. I would appreciate photos and would like to talk with you more about this gun.

I also now of a potential buyer for your gun.

Snert

Superior actions

Anyone else have anything? if you even suspect a friend knows something, please ask and forward my info....even if they are not A BC member. I have had several responses and i appreciate the help. Great chance to talk with really good people too!

thanks,

Snert

superior action

Just a final bump to top, will revisit in a few months. Please forward this to anyone who might have one. I am making progress and have located 10 of the 31, and have had several great interactions with people who own them.

Snert

Hello,
I am researching and attempting to catalog all 31 of the Superior Action Rifles built by Ross Sherman of Dryden NY. I am not attempting to buy them or blab about who has one! Rather, i am interested in them because I live near Dryden, have located several already, and want to write an article about them and Ross. I am collecting photos, history, stories, targets, anecdotes etc. If you have one, or had one, and can share any information, please contact me.

Ross was instrumental in button rifling, Remington arms, and was worked closely with Harts, Shilen, and Mike Walker.

Any help would be appreciated. PM please.

Snert

Snert,

I recently acquired no. 20L from my grandfather. It has a stainless 1 in 14 twist .243 barrel on it made by Clyde Hart. I'm not sure who made the stock, but it is striped black cherry. I have a little more information on the history of this rifle if you are interested: previous owner, who glass bedded the barrel, etc. I am interested in learning more about these actions as well. I haven't shot it yet, but plan on getting to the range soon.

Snert,

I recently acquired no. 20L from my grandfather. It has a stainless 1 in 14 twist .243 barrel on it made by Clyde Hart. I'm not sure who made the stock, but it is striped black cherry. I have a little more information on the history of this rifle if you are interested: previous owner, who glass bedded the barrel, etc. I am interested in learning more about these actions as well. I haven't shot it yet, but plan on getting to the range soon.

Hi Skimmer,

try me at parkerkaryn@gmail.com

Snert,

Still interested in info whenever you want to share it. Thanks for reaching out. BTW, it was very likely stocked by Ross Sherman. He often worked in Japanese yamma wood and Maples too.

I've noticed that the Sherman actions, as well as the Shilen actions, and Shilen actions made by SS&D. all made in upstate NY, seem to have serial numbers ending in L.

No coincidence I'll bet, but the significance is probably lost to history. It certainly did not mean left hand, because mine is a righty & still marked L.

Regards,
Ron

I've noticed that the Sherman actions, as well as the Shilen actions, and Shilen actions made by SS&D. all made in upstate NY, seem to have serial numbers ending in L.

No coincidence I'll bet, but the significance is probably lost to history. It certainly did not mean left hand, because mine is a righty & still marked L.

Regards,
Ron

Ron,

On the Superior actions, "L" stands for large bolt face (for cartridges having a rim of .473).

I bought 17L from Larry Baggett a few years ago. The bolt face on it has been bushed down to accept cases with a .378 rim. Larry shot it as a Deuce, or some variation thereof. I think he said he won a Super Shoot or something like that with it.

Nice action.

Justin

Back