Suhl with additional marking on receiver

Eagleye

Hello all; I am just getting serious about BR shooting here in Canada, and recently made a decent buy. A Suhl 150 Standard with a 16.5 twist barrel. It is a real shooter. It has the usual Suhl markings, but in addition, on the RHS of the receiver, in small but very neat letter is this: Davidsons Greensboro NC
Can anyone enlighten me regarding this logo? Thanks in advance, Eagleye.

Most likely the company that imported and sold the rifle here in the U.S.

laws of the usa

have required for years the importer stamp on most if not all guns, example are some of the other rimfire target guns, there was a discussion on this topic on another board about how the stamping varies between importers,
on some old annies and walthers and another well known brand I cannot remember just now,

when my old brain remembers I may post again,

Jeff

AS stated in a previous post it is the company that imported the rifle. The company used to be here in Greensboro but moved for what ever reason some where out west. It may be very well the same Davidsons that you could google on the internet -garrisone.

Thanks to all who responded. I had a suspicion this might be the answer, but this simply reinforces that. Regards, Eagleye.

Davidsons actually imported a lot of Suhls. Mine has Davidsons Raleigh, NC on the receiver.

I may be wrong, but I believe 1986 was the very first year that Davidsons imported their first Suhls.

There was a gun dealer in Savannah, Georgia by the name of Tony Sterno from a good source that told me he actually was the first to import Suhls to the US.

Here's the info, but I will have to take serial number out.

My Suhl research has led me to a Savannah,Ga. gun dealer who went to Germany in 1984 and purchased ,220 Suhl 150 rifles as well as 28 Suhl Biathlon riflles from the GDR Olympic Commitee.All these rifles have a Savannah Ga. import stamp.I'm compiling a list of those serial numbers.Will keep you posted.I own 3 of these Suhls , 2 Biathlons and 1 Suhl-150.The 150 is serial# _______ dated 12/73.This gun dealer also has spare parts for the Suhls.

He claims to have had 220 Suhls in his Gun Shop before Davidsons.He sold his for $325.I bought his last Suhl,a left hand stock model.He claims mine is the only one left hand model he's heard off.Tony told me he bought 3 Suhls from Davidsons in the fall of 1986 to fill an order,because he had sold his 220 Suhls.

Chip

That's the info I have.

Brad

I might add that Suhl 150 that Chip has marked 12/73 is the earliest Suhl 150 that I know of for a date of origin.

Anyone else who has one marked earlier than that, please let me know.

Mine was marked 11/74. I think Gary Mitchell's blue Suhl that shot so well was marked 05/74.

Brad

A fellow shooter told me that the Davidson guns were ordered with Grade 10 barrels and were supposed to all be very good shooters. Nothing written in stone that I have found about that?

Back