Suhl 150 Barrel

A

abrams437

Does anyone know if the Suhl barrel in its normal state is pinned or screwed on; does it have metric threads or is it like an Anschutz barrel that does not have metric threads.

I am going to have about .5 inch cut off the chamber to fix that crappy headspace issue before I start getting ruptured cases. The gentleman that is going to do it is good to go with anything Anschutz. I was just concerned with the threads.

What is the headspace now? I have seen some Suhls swallow a no go gage and they shot good and did not have ruptured cases. Some of them had headspace in the range of .050 insteadof the .043 that must guns are set at.
And there are no threads to worry about .

If you can find one, there were also some shims made specifically to adjust the headspace on a Suhl. They go between the bolt handle assembly and the bolt body.

Charlie

Look at the bore with a bore scope and decide that way where to put the chamber. You might be better off cutting an inch or 2 off.

I have no idea what the headspace is as .047 is the largest gage I have. It swallowed that baby right up. I have not noticed any indication that the rifle might rupture cases but I just do not want it to start. I am going to throw a decent scope on it and see if the barrel is worth using at all. I may have to nix everything. If the rifle shoots decently I will hang on to it and use the barrel it has for a while. I wish I had larger gages to see exactly where it is. I have not been able to find shims for it. I tried to unload it at a match in Charleston a week or so ago but there are so many out there that no one down there wanted to touch a Suhl. Pitty.

i was going through some old precision shootings issues and opened one from i
think 1991 or 1996 up and there was an article by hoke kerns telling how to shim
a suhl, and to call gary letnes in i think mesa, arizona for a shim kit. i just spoke
with gary last week and he said he might make up some more of the shim kits.
i don't have his number handy but if you want it let me know and i'll dig it up.
a lot cheaper and easier than redoing the barrel.

Gary Mitchell shot "Ole Blue" for years, with .050 HS or so I'm told. Most of mine shot quite well at .046 -.048. When I rebarreled, I had the smith set that HS at .044 and never looked back. I've a fellow shooter that had his new barrel set at .042, and had nothing but trouble with hang fires and problems ejecting. I'd just shoot it as is until you decide to rebarrel. I tried the shims, and that's how I found that HS that is to little will cause problems. Main thing you want, is clearance of at least .002 - .003, between the breech and the nose of the bolt. Keep the extractors clean and never oil the interior of the bolt of trigger,

suhl 150 barrel

Thanks for the replies guys. I think I would like to try the shim if you can find the number. I know that the only real way is to either cut the barrel and rechamber or rebarrel but I can't do that right now. I had the job lined up but it fell through. I am going to don glasses and keep shooting for the time being. randy

If it's never ruptured a case, it ain't broke. Just shoot it. I found that mine like the older Laupua Master L.

Contact Butch Hongisto, he used to have the shims and he knowledge to install hem correctly and set you head space. He also can test your barrel and see if it is worth saving or should be changed. He did my Suhl and it shoots great at 50 yards, but the barrel twist is a 1:19 and won't shoot well much past 50 yards.

I would not spend the money to have a factory barrel set back as most Suhl barrels are around a 1:19 twist and this twist is really too slow.

George

Back