Stock Help

J

jo191145

Daddy always said I was dumber than a bag of bricks:)

I'm trying to figure out the IBS rules for a short range HV stock.
Specifically the rake of the butt. What I'm getting from the rules is as follows.
Toe must be four inch minimum below axis of bore.
Straight line from toe to axis of bore not more than 18" in front of boltface.

So if I were to put a straightedge from the toe of my stock to center axis of barrel 18'' ahead of boltface that would be the minimum amount of rake required. Yes?? Or am I reading it all wrong?

I take that to mean

Daddy always said I was dumber than a bag of bricks:)

I'm trying to figure out the IBS rules for a short range HV stock.
Specifically the rake of the butt. What I'm getting from the rules is as follows.
Toe must be four inch minimum below axis of bore.
Straight line from toe to axis of bore not more than 18" in front of boltface.

So if I were to put a straightedge from the toe of my stock to center axis of barrel 18'' ahead of boltface that would be the minimum amount of rake required. Yes?? Or am I reading it all wrong?

you measure from the centerline of the barrel 18" ahead of the bolt face to a straight line paralell from the toe of the stock. Is that how you see it?

At 13,5" LOP (I thinkt, not 100% sure), find a point 4" below the centerline of the barrel/action. Then, find the point 18" ahead of the boltface, on the underside of the barrel. Now you have two points. Draw a line between the points, and you have the lowest legal angle of the buttstock.

Your buttstock has to be eighter parallell to this line, or steeper. The toe doesn´t have to be 4" below the centerline. It could be closer, or further from the centerline as long as the angle conforms with the rules.

Peter

Last edited:
Thanks guys, I got it now. Just wanted to make 100% sure before I started cutting.

At 13,5" LOP (I thinkt, not 100% sure), find a point 4" below the centerline of the barrel/action. Then, find the point 18" ahead of the boltface, on the underside of the barrel. Now you have two points. Draw a line between the points, and you have the lowest legal angle of the buttstock.

Your buttstock has to be eighter parallell to this line, or steeper. The toe doesn´t have to be 4" below the centerline. It could be closer, or further from the centerline as long as the angle conforms with the rules.

Peter

Peter,

This isn't correct. The measurement is NOT to the bottom of the barrel as you state, it's to the centerline of the bore.

And technically, it's 13.25" lop.

al

Joe,
Is this stock going to make an appearance at the matches this year? I just got word that my rifle is done, and I can't wait to lay hands on it.
Looking forward to seeing you out there.
Mike

Hey Mike

Yeah, I'm trying to brew up an "ugly stick" in the basement:D
Funny I found a fitting name for it and haven't even started chopping on it yet.
Seeing as you were kind enough to bring Benchrest to Ct I felt it only appropriate I should bring a benchrest gun (of sorts) The ppc is fine for groups but you found those funny targets with a silly little dot in the middle:)

This gun comes with two quarentees the ppc does'nt. It'll have a bigger hole in the end and it will be ugly. Hopefully I can get it all slopped together by the first match.
In reality I may just order a stock instead of trying to modify one. The more I look at the work needed to be done the lazier I get.

Now did'nt you have a new gun just last year? What type of mischief are you up to? Not the 12 guage score gun/deerslayer combo I hope.
Looking forward to this season also-Joe

BTW Some nice soul named Jan sent me a diagram explaining the the formula.
Clear enough even a bag of bricks can understand. Thanks everyone.

Alinwa,

Thank you for the correction on the LOP. But, are you 100% sure that the 18" mark should be at the centerline, and not the underside of the barrel? If you check the NBRSA drawing it clearly states the underside of the barrel?!

IBS on the other hand has written that the line/angle should be formed by the centerline of the barrel.

Strange:confused:

Joe,
I did have a savage last year, but it just wasn't cutt'n the mustard. I wanted to eliminate all possibilities for error (knowing that there are no guarantees, but that little creeping doubt kept coming in).
I don't know if you'll be up for it again, but I intend to have some sort of compensation for the target crew this year.
Can't wait to see the ugly stick.
Mike

Alinwa,

Thank you for the correction on the LOP. But, are you 100% sure that the 18" mark should be at the centerline, and not the underside of the barrel? If you check the NBRSA drawing it clearly states the underside of the barrel?!

IBS on the other hand has written that the line/angle should be formed by the centerline of the barrel.

Strange:confused:

hmmmmmm, I tried NBRSA rulebook online and no joy. Hate to go try dig out a copy with "the diagram" but may have to now ;)

My contention is that since barrels vary in diameter, this is imprecise..... BUT..... since taper is dictated by the rules, maybe NBRSA has drawn it thus?

Guess I'd better stand down! :)

thanks Peter

al

Back