Spotting Scope Questions

Fuzzy Hole

I am looking for a good (ED, HD, flourite or whatever name they call the low dispersion glass) spotting scope so I can see a 6mm bullet hole at 500 yards and perhaps even 600 yards. I understand even the best scope will not be 100% with heavy mirage, but I am looking for anyone who has actually compared different scopes and have determined what works best. I am leaning more toward Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica than Pentax and Nikon, but would not exclude any of them. Function is more important to me than the name on it. Also, is there an opinion on best size? My first reaction is 80mm or 75mm would be best, but the 65mm scopes are getting great reviews as well. Will 60x be OK or will I need higher power? On eyepieces, do the 1.25" ones used for astronomy work dowrange, or are they exclusively for celestial bodies? All help is appreciated.

Fuzzy Hole

If you are leaning toward Zeiss then the Diascope 85mm is your best bet. However be prepared to pay $1600 just for the body then anoother $300-$600 for whatever eyepiece you decide on.
No spotting scope will let you see bullet holes even in the white all of the time. In the black at 500-600 yards none are reliable.
Go to http://www.6mmbr.com/SpotterReview.html this may give you more information.

Good luck,

Danny

the pentax is good

One of my shooting buddies has a Pentax...I forget the model...but...it the hi-end stuff ...cost more than my used van((fifty buks!!! hahah.make that 1,200))....everywhere he goes and shoots ...groundhog matches..600-1000yd stuff....the other shooters who have looked thru evrything from soup to nuts all say it is terrific!!! I like it too ...just cant afford much more than a can of gunpowder now and then on this fixed uncome!!!...Roger

Last edited:
If you are serious, nothing compares to a Questar. The Field model is as good as it gets. In addition, the tripod is critical with high-end scopes, find a good one with a REAL ball head. Since it will be on the bench or ground with you, it need not be high but sturdy is the keynote word.

Last edited by a moderator:
What I've found out

I was where you are at about 2 years ago. I ended up buying a 100 mm pentax that tops out at 72 power. I've not been let down. Be sure you spend enough on your tripod. If it shimmies or shake in a breeze or when you touch it your scope is worthless.
Dave B

I have owned and used all three of them quite extensively. The Swarovski 80mm HD would be your best bet. I have a new 80mm HD and 5 year old Leica 77 that I might sell if your interested.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back