Spotting Scope Questions

Fuzzy Hole

I am looking for a good (ED, HD, flourite or whatever name they call the low dispersion glass) spotting scope so I can see a 6mm bullet hole at 500 yards and perhaps even 600 yards. I understand even the best scope will not be 100% with heavy mirage, but I am looking for anyone who has actually compared different scopes and have determined what works best. I am leaning more toward Swarovski, Zeiss and Leica than Pentax and Nikon, but would not exclude any of them. Function is more important to me than the name on it. Also, is there an opinion on best size? My first reaction is 80mm or 75mm would be best, but the 65mm scopes are getting great reviews as well. Will 60x be OK or will I need higher power? On eyepieces, do the 1.25" ones used for astronomy work dowrange, or are they exclusively for celestial bodies? All help is appreciated.

Fuzzy Hole

The ability to distinguish two identical objects closely separated is called resolution. Yes, at 600 yards you will need some magnification (power) but the ability to resolve 6mm bullet holes at that distance might be pushing the theoretical limits of a traditional "spotting scope's" resolving power.

I would definitely find out what the pros use that are competing in the NRA sanctioned matches, and also ask the NRA. The matches are also published in the American Rifleman, and lots of gear gets photographed, so you may be able to determine what brand just by looking at the photo.

You are definitely going to be spending some strong money. I would, initially, look at the Kowa brand. More bang for your buck than other brands from Germany or "Yurp".

Also, you might check the Birding sites. Those folks are almost as passionate about glass as about birds.

If you wear glasses, make sure you test drive them first.

The best spotting scope I have looked through was a Leica Trinovid. Not sure of the specs but it was unbelieveable. Our F class is mostly at 300m and where I used this scope. You could resolve the rings between scoring circles and that is about 1/16" wide.

In good conditions, seeing 6mm holes in the white at 600yds should be no problem. We could spot them in the black no problem at 300m.

Have looked through several KOWA brands and these were very useable glass. The eyepieces were eyeglass friendly.

Pentax ED 80mm is an awesome scope for the money. Not quite as sharp as the Leica but right there with the KOWA. Pretty good price considering. The birders say the zoom is the best of the zooms but not as good as the fixed mag.

The fixed mag eyepieces are supposed to be as good as any on the market at any price. If you want the best resolution, the eyepiece should be high on your shopping list. Try various ones and see what works for your eyes the best.

Great spotter with mediocre eyepiece yields crappy results.

I bought a Pentax 65ED based on these recommendations and use the 80mm zoom on it. Works very well but not quite as sharp as the 80mm spotter and eye relief is still not as good as I would like. More a problem with the 65mm spotter then the eyepiece.

Nice compact scope though. I used it during the winter and I was able to spot the surface texture of a large pine tree at 2000yds. Glassing game would be no problem. But not my first choice if spotting bullet holes is your main application.

Swarovski, I simply could not use due to the lack of eye relief (I wear glasses).

No Nikons to compare but have used the lesser XL. Not bad but optics lost the edge at max mag. Great hunting spotting scope but not a target eyepiece. I could spot 30cal holes at 600yds in good conditions in the white though.

If you don't mind size and weight, the new Pentax 100mm spotter is supposed to be right up there but I have not personally used one.

Jerry

The ability to distinguish two identical objects closely separated is called resolution. Yes, at 600 yards you will need some magnification (power) but the ability to resolve 6mm bullet holes at that distance might be pushing the theoretical limits of a traditional "spotting scope's" resolving power.
<snip>

Not to mention the limitation of what mirage allows you to see with any scope.

I have tried spotting 6mm bullet holes at 600 yards with several spotting scopes, including high end ones with magnification up to 60 power. It does not work. Before you spend the money, find one to try out. I think you will find that even at 400 yards, a spotting scope is not going to provide you what you are looking for.:cool:

Back