South Bend heavy 10 transport

R

realm-aw

Can I haul a SB heavy 10 in my Ford F150 pickup? What is the approx. weight?

Depending on bed length, type of cabinet or stand, etc., usually from 800 to 1200 pounds. It is somewhat top heavy, so be sure to strap it down well (be careful of the lead screw when strapping).

It wouldn't be a bad idea to palletize it for extra stability.

As I was told by someone who knows much more about Heavy10's than I, they can be broken down into smaller units for transport. I wasn't that brave :D.

Jim

It could be hauled in the F150 and it can be taken apart very easy into easly handled pices the heavest part would be the cabinet and it can be made liter by taking the motor out. Just pull off the tailstock, take the bolts out from under the headstock, if it has a taper attachment take it off, It comes apart very easy.

By breaking the SB h10 down you could actually haul it in a large SUV like a Suburban.
-Slide the tailstock off
-Unhook the drive belt at the splice link.
-Remove the left gear cover
-Remove the headstock--it is fitted so it will go back exactly where it should
There are a couple of bolts accessible from the bottom.
-Take the two big flat screws out of the front top if the saddle.
-Remove the bolts holding the back of the saddle on at the bottom rear of the saddle. There are 3 bolts and a bar that come off, then lift off the saddle top assembly.
-Remove the lead screw bearing on the tailstock end
-Remove the bolts holding the gearbox on and lift off the gearbox/saddle front assembly.
-Unbolt the lathe bed from the stand.
-If you do not have a helper, remove the electric motor to loose about 50 pounds from the stand.
-If the stand has drawers, remove them.

The entire lathe weighs just over 1000 pounds according to the cabinet style.

Be VERY CAREFUL to protect the handwheel handles.

Remember, this lathe was designed to be very portable and rigid at the same time.

Thanks

Gentlemen, thanks to all for your advice. The lathe is way down the road and this helps a lot.

top heavy

About 35 years ago I saw a lathe flip over and out of a pickup.

I think this would be the biggest concern, in the back of a pickup or on a flatbed trailer.

Loading in and out of a trailer is much easier.

I have hauled a 13" Southbend toolrom lathe with taper attachment in the back of my F150 without any strain. I have also hauled a 16" Southbend with 8 ft bed with the F150 however as this lathe weighs 2500 lbs, I used the local Taylor Rental's bobcat trailer to do it. The bobcat trailer is ideal as it is low and with the lathe on a set of 4x6 skids, easy to winch on and off the trailer with a come-a-long with no hastle.

I have also hauled a Series One Bridgport milling machine in the back of the F150 and that weighs 1800 lbs. The F150 handled it fine.

Mitch & SHadow...

About 35 years ago I saw a lathe flip over and out of a pickup.

I think this would be the biggest concern, in the back of a pickup or on a flatbed trailer.

Mr. John S, would you believe that this is a wonderful story.

Con

What we use to do - -

I use to work for a rebuilder in another life. We use to be sure the machines could not move at their base either by nailing chalks to the floor when we had wood or to lay blocking pieces between the sides of the PU box and the base of the machine. We used chains to secure the machines to the bed of whatever we were using to deliver the machines in. I suppose straps would be ok if they are strong enough but chains are less likely to stretch.

If the base can not slide, the chances of upset are minimized greatly.

I moved a 13x40 in the back of a Nissan King Cab Hardbody travelling on the interstate. The F150 won't even know it is there. Use good straps to tie to all four anchor points. I used a piece of plywood on the gap between the tailgate and the bed. Use a fork truck under the bed to lift it up so you can drive under it and also to unload the same way. Cardboard between the forks and the bed bottom will alleviate slipping.

Clemson

success!

Thanks again to all for the advice. The 1943 vintage lathe is now safely in my shop, 325 miles from the auction.

Thanks again to all for the advice. The 1943 vintage lathe is now safely in my shop, 325 miles from the auction.
Since you and the lathe made it home safely, for the benefit of others who may come across this same problem, would you give the basics of how you loaded, secured, transported, and unloaded your lathe?

I second the suggestion of relaying your experience of how you hauled this South Bend. My very recent experience would have been a total catastrophe. Mine was hauled in a Dodge ¾ ton without incident, all down Interstate highways, not compromising safety in the least.

If the seller would not have had so much integrity and compassion for the lathe and my simple ignorance, it would have been guaranteed disaster.

My general suggestion would be; when in doubt, don’t.

Finally, take a few pictures and post them. We all love comparing and gloating at other’s lathes…especially South Bend Lathes.

Back