Sniper rifle

S

Section61

Hi guys, took me a while to get me logged in to this site.

ANyway, I am from Australia and we are very restricted to longarms, therefore only allow bolt action and pump action rifles, but not pump action shot guns (how silly and ed up is that).

I have been looking at a good some other rifles that are good for target but I like to call it "snipping". HS Precision heavy tactical & short, Kimber Tactical, or the Reminington Police. I have a big favour over the HS-precision tactical because the .308 has 10 round magazine option, where as other are just standard 4 or 5 rounds. Anyway, anyone got any suggestion free feel to brain wash me. Also, last time when i check out the HS-precision short tactical was around $3880 AUS, which is pretty expensive.

Cheers.

You may get better responces in the factory/hybrid rifle section of this site, or another site. This section and web page deal with benchrest rifles which are a compleate diferent rifle that what you looking at. I dont know the exchange rate on US dollar to aus but I am willing to bet that the 3800 is cheap compaired to building a bench rest rifle.

If your wondering what a bench rest rifle is, it is a custom built gun with accuracy , and fitting rules governing competion being the only concern. You will find a br gun is single shot, in wildcat calibers, with custom super light triggers.

On you quest for a gun dont rule out Savage, they make exelent guns, check out the following two pages http://www.savagearms.com/10fphsprecision.htm and http://www.savageshooters.com/ You might find some information on guns your looking at and answer questions about savages.

Good luck and welcome to the site.

Mate

What do you want to do,type of shooting.Are you shooting paper?What dicipline.BR rifles are 99.99% single shot bolt actions.What game if thats the idea need more info

tacticle rifle

Shoot 2 Blaser LRS2 rifles in 308 & 243 cal, Find them very accurate and the ability to switch barrels in few secs without loss of zero is a big plus.

sniper rifle

I have 2 rifles. One a m24 with hart bbl on a Remington action
The other a Remington 700 pss both are 308.
Both shoot tiny groups with hand loads.
You can buy a magazine well that holds a 10 shot clip if that's what you want. They are in the BDL configuration. You remove the floor plate and follower,insert the new mag plate, that holds the 10 rd clip.
I hope this helps. I believe badger ordinance sells the parts.

Hs htr

A problem I have had with my HTR is that it does not go "bang" every time.
It got a very week firing pin spring or something.
You need ammo with "soft" primers (i.e. Federal).
I would be a lot cheaper for me if I could use Norwegian army 7,62x51 (.308Nato) but my HS rifle will not work with that ammo (or other with "hard" primers)
You should check out the Sako TRG.

A problem I have had with my HTR is that it does not go "bang" every time.
It got a very week firing pin spring or something.
You need ammo with "soft" primers (i.e. Federal).
I would be a lot cheaper for me if I could use Norwegian army 7,62x51 (.308Nato) but my HS rifle will not work with that ammo (or other with "hard" primers)
You should check out the Sako TRG.

If your rifle doesn't go "bang" every time it's probably got excess headspace. It needs to be fixed.

al

I have been looking at a good some other rifles that are good for target but I like to call it "snipping".

Cheers.

This is a much better description than the term "sniping" used over on the paramilitary wannabe sites listed!

I like it!

:D

al

I have two Sako TRG's. The model 22 also holds 10 rounds of 308. In my opinion they are the gold standard for a factory rifle and will often outshoot my custom guns.:eek: But, you will drop 3 to 4k IF you can find one and another $600 for the bipod, $250 muzzel break, $250 extra mag. They want $650 for there scope mount but it is a waste when you can get a Near.

If it was legal and you had a spare 6k the SR-25 is a very accurate rifle (at least mine is).

Remington has a new one this year that is suppose to have a better trigger but I haven't shot it so who knows. FN is definately worth a look as well as AI.

But with that said, you can build a 700 to do anything you want for less money. Find a gunsmith and go for it!

Remington and Savage make Tactical .223 Rem and 308 Win rifles in the 500-600 $US range.

The Remington SPS Tactical has a Hogue stock which is comfy, but reduces accuracy potential. Many will replace this stock after a short while.

The Remington SPS Tactical has the X Pro trigger which can be tuned down or replaced easily with a Shilen, Remington 40X, Jewell or other trigger.

Some report 0.5 MOA accuracy with SPS Tactical after replacing the stock and adjusting the stock trigger.

My dad has had great success with his Remington 700 VLS in .22-250. It is available in 308 Win and just a paint job away from "Tactical". The VLS is about 800 $US.

FN Patrol Boat in 308 Win rifle has been at CDNN Investments @ 600 $US. They offer mdl 70 type action with/without stock, in 18,20,22,24 in barrel lengths. Their 40MB PDF file, for their advertisements, is fun reading.

Many years ago one of our county sheriffs asked if I'd act as a sniper for him if a hostage situation came up, or as a countersniper if some wacko started playing at Charles Whitman. Back then the average LEO around here couldn't hit the ground with his hat.
The Sheriff figured I wouldn't hesitate to bust a cap. Anyway I'm glad he never had to call on me for that sort of thing.

This is a much better description than the term "sniping" used over on the paramilitary wannabe sites listed!

I like it!

:D

al

I am interested and shoot both benchrest and practical. You only here negative comments like this on this site. Different strokes for different folks. I don't know why you have to hate instead of being helpful like your other posts about benchrest.

I am interested and shoot both benchrest and practical. You only here negative comments like this on this site. Different strokes for different folks. I don't know why you have to hate instead of being helpful like your other posts about benchrest.

I notice you use the term "practical" not "sniper"........

diff'rent strokes, as you say.

BTW I have the last 3 signed copies of "Marine Sniper," Rocky woke him up to get them..... CARLOS was a sniper. Some keyboard jockey who's read the DFA's is not.

"have to hate" ?????

Did you vote for Obama?

Lighten up Big Boy.

al

No amount of training can make a man a sniper, that comes only when he first draws blood. Till then he'd be a highly trained marksman.
Taking a life, even one that should be taken, is not to be taken lightly.

In Job theres a line about the Marauders who are Secure and carry their god in their hands. Somehow I found that apt. The professional carries the power of life and death in his hands.

One definition of "Sniper rifle" is simply a rifle used by a sniper. That involves shooting at individuals from a concealed or distant location (per Webester's dictionary). Just about any rifle could be used but few actually are since sniping is a fairly uncommon activity.

However there's another meaning of "sniper rifle". It's an art form best described by an example. A McMillan A2 or A5 stock. A Rem 700 or Win 70 action. A custom 26 or 28" heavy straight taper barrel. A detachable bipod. A Picatinny rail topped off with a 10 to 20x Mil dot scope. Chambering in 308, 300 WM or 338 Lapua is typical. There are lots of variations, but the finish should etiher be all matte black or a pretty "camouflage" paint job.

Accuracy is not of prime importance but most will shoot around 1/2 MOA at usable ranges of 600 yards to a mile. Here's an example of the concept.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/vinyardnd/IMG_2100.jpg

They aren't for hunting. They aren't for competition shooting. They aren't even for military use. The chance of them actually being used for sniping is very low.

Last edited by a moderator:
One definition of "Sniper rifle" is simply a rifle used by a sniper. That involves shooting at individuals from a concealed or distant location (per Webester's dictionary). Just about any rifle could be used but few actually are since sniping is a fairly uncommon activity.

However there's another meaning of "sniper rifle". It's an art form best described by an example. A McMillan A2 or A5 stock. A Rem 700 or Win 70 action. A custom 26 or 28" heavy straight taper barrel. A detachable bipod. A Picatinny rail topped off with a 10 to 20x Mil dot scope. Chambering in 308, 300 WM or 338 Lapua is typical. There are lots of variations, but the finish should etiher be all matte black or a pretty "camouflage" paint job.

Accuracy is not of prime importance but most will shoot around 1/2 MOA at usable ranges of 600 yards to a mile. Here's an example of the concept.

http://i243.photobucket.com/albums/ff102/vinyardnd/IMG_2100.jpg

They aren't for hunting. They aren't for competition shooting. They aren't even for military use. The chance of them actually being used for sniping is very low.

Louis, the accepted term is and has been "tactical" or "practical"....... you don't see the "A" series stocks being presented by McMillan as "sniper stocks." The Chandler Bro's build a fine tactical rifle. They favor McMillan. I've been over to the various "sniper" forums. I've watched the Iron Brigade Armory get TORN UP over on the "sniper forums" because some farmboy figgers he k'in get 'er done better/cheaper. And I know real snipers. I find much of the stuff on the "sniper forums" to be keyboard krap.

Hey, it's a free country. You wanna' align yourself with a bunch of keyboard kowboys it's your deal. Conversely, it's my right to give the real guys their due and the wannabe's my opinion. The real shooters I know don't set around bragging on internet sites about how badass they woulda' be. The shooters I know take the concept of taking a life seriously, it ain't a video game.

Going over to one of these "sniper sites" is about as enlightening as finding a "cop board" where cop dudes sit and toot about "whacking perps" and "bumping gangbangers" and trading domestic assault stories......

Guess I was raised different.

know a lot of cops too

tough jobs both

al

Sniping

The fundemental purpose of "sniping" is to end the life of another human being. We understand that there are times when this is the correct action that professionals must take against those that would do others harm.

Making "sport" of that has always made me feel uneasy. Maybe I am a closet "pinko", "wuss", or God forbid, someone who thinks that human life is sacred, and the taking of it should never be trivialized, or made sport of.

I see men who like to dress up in camo, combat boots, carry scary looking weapons and pretend to "make war".

Back in 1968, Uncle Sam issued me some camo, combat boots, gave me a scary looking weapon, and told me to go fight. I had no say-so in the matter.

Now, I do. I would rather not. I bet a lot of other Veterans feel the same way........jackie

Back