sizing die plating

Z

zini72

I have created a somewhat wildcat based on the 300 wsm (norma) brass. I need to build sizing dies to make it work. Ordered a re-sizing reamer, but have not seen it yet. In the mean time I was toying around with the idea of using the chamber reamer and having the ID of the die plated (.0015") to create a re-sizing die. I am struggling with finding a place to get the plating done. Contacted Fireball, very nice people, but they always sub-contracted the plating and now the sub is charging a $250 set up fee. Does anyone know where to have this much (electroless nickel) plating done? Fireball will still heat treat and have good turn-around time. Has anyone done this type of sizing die? does it work?

I spoke with Troy, he told me to call Fireball. Troy didn't know of any other plating companies to try. Troy is a very nice guy, seems to be quite knowledgable.

I hard chromed the interior of a die as an experiment. It worked but it was not worth the effort and the resulting price tag. I found it far easier to use the resize reamer and harden the die. I may try the Melonite process for hardening next time.

I've been in search of a plating process for 15yrs or more. I tend to ask the question here on the board every couple yrs unless someone like yourself gets 'er done......

I've found precisely ZERO successful methods. Many people have it done, some are satisfied. I've found none that would suit me.

Even my hardening sources have dried up over time.

Now melonizing, CPQ (QPC? QCQ? QCP? PQC???) salt bath nitriding SEEMS to answer half the problem, the hardening part. I'll be trying it soon.

al

thanks for the replies. Maybe i'll just have to wait for my resize reamer to show up.
I did speak with Joel Kendrick. Very nice guy, i'll probably send my re-size reamed dies to him.
I have learned many things during this minor wildcat process, one of them being, order the resize reamer at the same time as the finish reamer.

thanks for the replies. Maybe i'll just have to wait for my resize reamer to show up.
I did speak with Joel Kendrick. Very nice guy, i'll probably send my re-size reamed dies to him.
I have learned many things during this minor wildcat process, one of them being, order the resize reamer at the same time as the finish reamer.

I sent some stuff to them this winter and they raised the price on me while they had my stuff. Then when I complained, they told me that since I was a small fish, they really weren't interested in making me happy. They further told me that their new policy was to accept gun related items ONLY from class 7 FFL holders. I think they have a $250 minimum now. Good luck getting them to treat one die!

having the same problem this side of the pond,about finding a plater.
I've two ideas :-
Do it my self with 12v car battery,in glass beaker on a level surface.
Mask off die with electrical tape,and just have enough plating solution to cover neck.

Or

Put a redding bushing inside.

Just thinking aloud.

Do you have a print?

Of your Wildcat cartridge? Might be able to make you a die.. Out of a blank

Mark D. Spencer
Standish, MI
989-385-0173

Dennis, Mimi Trutec has reversed their policy. They have gone back to doing a barrel at a time. Just spoke to Joel Kendrick today about it.
Butch

Dennis, Mimi Trutec has reversed their policy. They have gone back to doing a barrel at a time. Just spoke to Joel Kendrick today about it.
Butch

That was wise of them to do.

If they hadn't been so rude to me about the way they handled it, I might have considered sending them some more work some day.

Not sure I am 100% sold on the whole process simply because it basically precludes you from doing any additional work to the barrel once it's treated; no set backs, no throating, no anything if you didn't get it right the first time. If you have a tried and proven reamer, this is less of a concern obviously!

Back