Should a Rail BBL be parallel to rails

Bob

You machine every thing true,machine evrything nice and flat, bolt it all together, and that is how it comes out. In my opinion, based on my experience with my Rail Gun, it does not have to be, and probably will not be, dead nuts true.
As for the tracking, that is determined by how true you actual rails are with each other. That is why it is a good idea to have one rail adjustable, you can play with it untill it tracks dead on. By tracking dead on, I mean when you look through the scope and slide the top back and forth, the cross hairs do not move off of POA.
But even that is not nessessary as long as you put the top back against the stop each time, and the cross hairs come back to the same POA.. With different weight barrels, mine will change, because the weight actually flexes the top down just enough to make it track off up and down just a little.
But, honestly, I quit paying attention to that sort of stuff, because it just does not matter.
Well, let me qualify that. If someone happens to walk up to you Rail Gun while it is sitting on the Bench, and moves the top back while looking through the scope, and it does track dead on, you will get a big "attaboy", and you can pontificate about the hours you spent getting it that way.
Aside from that, it doesn't matter........jackie

Bob, you can adjust them to track with the scope or the OD of the barrel, but with rifle bores not being straight, I don't see how you could do it. Jackie gave good advice.
Butch

A couple of weeks ago, I and several other engineers were having a discussion on the subject of rail gun tracking. One of them made this statement: "The bullet travels in an arc so why is it important to have the scope track the target perfectly?" We all just looked at each other and changed the subject because the discussion was over.

it is a return to battery that counts

that is what a rail gun really is....a shooting system that when reset for the next shot returns mechanically to the previous POA....or returns to battery....thus allowing the shooter to quickly shoot the course of fire...any changes in conditions can be adjusted (cranked) quickly.....if it wont do this ..then it isnt riding on "rails"....Roger

If a rail gun tracked perfectly, and was also truly ridgid. I would think it
could be again fired without being pushed all the way to battery each time

new design??

Hi Bob...are u building a new gun that has some sort of self return system or extra long slides,,,how are u shooting one now...are u riding the rail...or using bungee cords or rubber bands ,,I have shot most of the common types,, (Hammonds-Hasecuster-Powell-Young) and they dont have enuff travel to allow a second shot without reset...there are lots of new Ideas out there....sounds like you may have a good one.....speed is the secret....Roger

the bullet

darn sure doesnt go straight. if it did gravity would be gone and you could shoot long ranges without changing vertical. My guess is the bullet arcs down in a parabolic or hyperbolic shape, but I am only guessing.

My rails are about 8" long. Rear rail is adjustable in all directions and
it stays on point all the way. I do not like bumping the stop and can
remain at mid point thru a string, with maybe 3" of travel. I push it back up part way, no stop. Its an I-Beam type 1/2" web and aluminum

Bob

There are a lot of ideas on Rail Guns, I have seen some that worked quite well, and some that weren't worth lugging around.
My top rides on Tungston Carbide Runners, on hardenned steel stands. I aquired a top a while back with the conventional Delren balls riding in V's, I modified my base to adapt it. I didn't like it, went back to what has been a successful platform.
Rail Guns are like most things in Benchrest. There are a lot of ideas, and a lot of opinions as to what is best. But what really matters in the end is how well it performs in The Competitive Arena......jackie

intersting

sounds like it wuld be fast....you wuldnt be bumping the stop and lunging the gun foreward....I am toying with the thought of a light weight rail system...maby use a 1.250" bbl instead of the "big-uns"...and build the top and bottom out of thinner material or maby tubeing.....I am disabled and have a hard time lugging the conventional ones around for two days of rotations......Roger

If a rail gun tracked perfectly, and was also truly ridgid. I would think it
could be again fired without being pushed all the way to battery each time

As long as you push the top back to battery, a rail gun doesn't have to track to be accurate. But, a rail gun that tracks and stays on target will help in case the driver forgets to push it back to battery.

Back