Shooting on a budget

kujones

Kjones
Does anyone have experience with ER Shaw rifles/barrels? They advertise that they will "build" a rifle to your specs for around $800. It looks like a good way to access some of the better cartridges such as 6mm BR for a workable rpice.

You can do better elsewhere, if you start with a used rifle and save for a good barrel; in the long run you will be farther ahead.

I have a 22 br Shaw bbl. on 700 Rem. action Full Bull. After I finally got it back from them, It NEVER DID shoot as expected & is the roughest bbl. I have ever Dealt with. On the other hand I have a Douglas bbl. 22-250 on a 700 action . It Shot from the GET Go. Also have several 40xs I bought in that price range GREAT rifles & For Just a Little More you can get a Used Cooper That Is A very nice Rifle.

I have a stock Savage varmint rifle with a laminated stock and stainless barrel. It copper fouled a little the first 200 rounds, nothing to cause a problem. After that it cleaned up about the same as a Hart that I own. That is to say there was no significant copper fouling. I would rather have my stock barrel than anything but a lapped barrel from a known good source. The rifle has shot five shot groups at 1/2" and less with three kinds of premium factory ammunition, with only a trigger adjustment. It does better than that with handloads. It is a .220 Swift. There is really no way around the cost of a good barrel. If you invest in a used benchrest rifle with a "worn out" barrel, it will probably shoot rings around a new factory rifle, because what constitutes worn out for Benchrest is still excellent accuracy for just about any other application. Once you have the rifle, you can save toward having it rebarreled.

I agree with Butch. You can buy a used Savage or a new Stevens, install a good barrel and a Sharp Shooter Supply (SSS) or other good trigger and spend a pile less than $800 and end up with a better barrel.

Check out SSS at: www.sharpshootersupply.com they make a good trigger and sell chambered barrels and the tools needed to change them, and/or bolt heads for whatever caliber you'd like pretty much. Shilen and others also sell chambered barrels.

If you can change spark plugs in your car or truck without breaking anything you can change the barrel on a Savage.

Savage and a barrel wrench. You can't get more economical than that.
I have 4 actions, 7 stocks and 16 barrels. Some factory and some custom fully chambered ready to screw on. No smith required.

Shooting on a budget, get a good pellet rifle and you will keep the costs way down.:D

Have put on a number of Shaw barrels from .204 to 330 Dakota all turned out very nice. Good people to deal with also.

Back