Shooting 222 and other rounds with same case head

Lucky Shooter A

What custom actions were available to shooters who used the 222 before the days of the PPC dominance ?

I'm wanting to play around some with the 222 and some other smaller rounds and am looking for a good way to get a good custom action.

I have a Viper SS with the universal bolt face that I like very much and have considered buying another bolt from Stiller but its pretty costly----and maybe a long wait.

I'm looking for options in used rifles or actions but the new bolt just might be the least expensive in the long run.

Any suggestions ? I have some Rem actions but would prefer a custom action approach if possible.

Thanks.

A. Weldy

40X pics0010.jpgIn the early days', The Rem 600, Xp-100, 722, 700 with a sleeve could shoot very well. I don't know what a small bolt faced 40-X would be worth these days'. You can buy this sleeve from Brownells for $200. It has the Stolle Panda foot print.

Last edited by a moderator:
The usual suspects were being used for the 222 and it's wildcat varients - Rem, Shilen, Hart, Stolle, Weber, and a few others. But, I doubt if you'll find any of those old actions simply laying around waiting for somebody to buy them.

nhkuehl: Do you know the price of these actions? Really like the looks of the little short action. By looking at the bolt cross pin makes me wonder if it has a removable bolt head.

Bighorn

nhkuehl: Do you know the price of these actions? Really like the looks of the little short action. By looking at the bolt cross pin makes me wonder if it has a removable bolt head.

According to Bighorn: Allows interchangeability of bolt heads for different cartridge sizes in the same action. It fits the Remington foot print (like the other clones) and can be ordered left or right bolt or port, single shot or repeater. It lists for $995 on their site. I've seen the action and like it and have heard good reports about it from a tactical shooter and a varmint hunter. That will probably be my next action. - nhk

This link (http://www.bighornarms.com/features.php) will give you the info. It is a separate bolt head. Nice-looking action.

I recently bought a Rem. 700 actioned .222 so I could do some shooting for fun. Nice little rig and shoots very well, but not yet in the league of my 6 PPC or 30 BR. Hard to duplicate the old loads because the powders are all gone or all changed. But so far I'm getting good groups with H322 and H4198, just not the kind of consistency I want.

Last edited:
It will never be a benchrest action, but for a field gun the Sako L461 is a real jewel for the .222.

Clemson

Back