shimming a scope

P

phil evans

i need to raise my rear sight(s&b scope) to gain additional elevation clicks.
do i put the shims under the objective front ring mount or under the back ocular ring mount?
i'll use .005 or.010" stainless.

Shims go..........

Under the rear to gain more up clicks(long range), and under the front to gain down clicks(short range).

JKM

i need to raise my rear sight(s&b scope) to gain additional elevation clicks.
do i put the shims under the objective front ring mount or under the back ocular ring mount?
i'll use .005 or.010" stainless.

Treat the front and rear bases as you would a front and rear sight... move the rear in the direction you want the shots to move ... and always do it with shims under the base, not in the ring. A shim in a conventional ring reduces the ring diameter and may damage the scope.

thanks

thanks - for your reasoning for rear mount elevation.

Scope Base Shim

In todays world there's a ton of mounts with moa already in them, and some smiths even custom make what you need.

I was a user of shims, but have switched to purchased bases.

Be carefull not to bind the scope: say with .010 under the rear mount check the rings for alignment, I've had to shim in a taper to keep them in line. It could damage the scope.

If I remember correctly every .010 of rear shim is 7 moa.

Eliminate the problem with...

the purchase of the Burris Signature "Z" ring set. These come with inserts you can arrange anyway you want to solve your elevation problem. In addition, they will not mar your scope while at the same time eliminate any potential binding problems. Also, they are very reasonably priced.

good luck...virg

Last edited:
Back