shilen competiton trigger dissembly

843rest

It's been several years since my last post. My wife has been ill and was caring for her, etc.

Hello everyone if you are still with us and still shooting.

I am cleaning my 2 competition rifles in preparation, however the Shilen trigger on 6PPC is all gunked up and won't move. Just frozen.

Short of returning it to Shilen is there a way to clean it to function again or dissemble it. I don't want to do this if I can avoid it if possible.

Any help is appreciated.

Roy Allain

Soak It

I would suggest soaking (submerged) in in Lighter Fluid. A little vibration will all help loosen up the innerds. If you have access to a Sonic Bath Cleaner, this will speed up the job. Afterwards, plow it out with Air pressure. Watch out that you don't lose any of the parts when you use the air.

Remove it from the action and soak it in lacquer thinner, acetone, or MEK until it frees up. Flush with fresh solvent and blow dry with air. If it needs any lube at all, use small amount of Breakfree CLP. If this doesn't fix it then disassembly is the only answer.

RWO

Many years ago I bought a used 700 in .308. It had a Shilen trigger. Someone had used red lock tight on the adjusting screws. When I tried to loosen them the allen sockets stripped out.

I sent the trigger to Shilen and explain all to them, that it was off a used rifle I had purchased, etc.

A short time later I received from Shilen what appeared to be a new trigger! No charge! No other comments.

I'd send your trigger to Shilen.

Many years ago I bought a used 700 in .308. It had a Shilen trigger. Someone had used red lock tight on the adjusting screws. When I tried to loosen them the allen sockets stripped out.

I sent the trigger to Shilen and explain all to them, that it was off a used rifle I had purchased, etc.

A short time later I received from Shilen what appeared to be a new trigger! No charge! No other comments.

I'd send your trigger to Shilen.

Yes Sir, you are right.

This is a good time to

sing the praises of Shilen trigger I guess. I have had several over the years on HBR rifles, pretty much, but think I did have on on a VFS rifle. I never had a problem with one of them. I have never seen one fail in or at a match. I have, however, seen others and the most popular trigger of them all fail , even on lowly Rimfire rifles, 15 of them to date. Also, one of the very high dollar triggers at a CF match last year. From my experience, Shilen is the best value and most reliable trigger out there.

Pete

Back