Selling a long gun to a Canadian

Bnhpr

Ben Hooper
Q: As a private sale, can I sell a bolt action hunting/benchrest rifle to a friend of mine that lives in Canada. He comes to my home frequently.

He is familiar with the Canadian laws and has firearms at his home, but I want to make sure it is within US law to sell him a gun.

Once he has purchased it, can he take it to the border and declare it, or do I have to take it?

Ben

Q: As a private sale, can I sell a bolt action hunting/benchrest rifle to a friend of mine that lives in Canada. He comes to my home frequently.

He is familiar with the Canadian laws and has firearms at his home, but I want to make sure it is within US law to sell him a gun.

Once he has purchased it, can he take it to the border and declare it, or do I have to take it?

Ben

Yes you can sell him a gun but basically he can not take possession of it in the US...

You have to apply for and obtain an export license. He has to send you his import license before you can apply for your export license. It takes months but you can do it.

The days of just delivering it to the border are long gone. US laws prevent you from doing that.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66418

Yes you can sell him a gun but basically he can not take possession of it in the US...

You have to apply for and obtain an export license. He has to send you his import license before you can apply for your export license. It takes months but you can do it.

The days of just delivering it to the border are long gone. US laws prevent you from doing that.

http://www.benchrest.com/forums/showthread.php?t=66418

Thanks Dennis, I thought you might be up to date on this.

I'll dig further into the details of an export license.

I hope it's not cost prohibitive.

Your friend also has to apply for a permit here in Canada. It is called an Application for International Import Certificate. It can be found online and is free. I've just started to look into it so I can't elaborate more than that.

Your friend also has to apply for a permit here in Canada. It is called an Application for International Import Certificate. It can be found online and is free. I've just started to look into it so I can't elaborate more than that.

Yes, thanks, he has all the info on his paperwork required now.

Ben

it only takes 3 days for the canadian permit

and with a good USA exporter the paperwork can take as little as 10 days from the day submitted,

also the firearm make or manufacture has to be on a list in the USA to be able to be exported, i.e. they have to have a license or permit or 2hatever it is called that allows their procut to be exported (NOT THE EXPORT ITSELF JUST THE PRODUCT)

EXAMPLE LAST YEAR TURBO ACTIONS FOR RIMFIRE , Flash does not have and was not going to get the XXXX to allow his actions to be exported by a valid exporter, (but i think 11 are going to england shortly so somebody got the products registered this year)

example stiller has the permits and also does the exporting, so does kelblys,

BAT did not have it until recently

the folks at the border are usually OK with little screw ups, a spent case as mentioned before,
but also a lot of the women at the border dont know the canadian laws and you can get the run around for hours,

Jeff

sure

usa side Leroys Big Valley gunworks glasgow montana

canadian side Prophet River Firearms, Lloydminster saskatchewan, owner Clay Smiley go onto canadian gunnutz subscribe and then go to ads or equipment exchange or just google

all folks in canada who own guns whould know of this canadian site and it is dicussed ad nauseum (sp)

Jeff

In the last 10 years it has been usually cheaper to buy a 700 action in Canada over the US.

I just sold two older very nice .308 BDL rifles for $500 each, shipped. Hardly been fired... These will probably be stripped for the actions.

Shop around, good used rifles show up.

Back