Scratched Brass

Matt P

Hi All
I've just made a resizing die using a old barrel (and resizing reamer), the internal finish is excellent BUT when sizing the case it comes out with scratches running from top to bottom. I inspected the die with a bore scope and the finish is as good or better than the Redding and Forster dies I have here.
I haven't hardened it, is this the cause ???
Thanks
Matt

Maybe the opening of the die needs attention. Polish off the hard edge with some fine and super fine scotchbrite.

clean it well too..if it is scratching, it may have brass stuck on it and it will continue to scratch....soak in a copper cleaner.

Unhardened steel is sticky david. Making dies i ran across this trying to test them before wasting a heat treat

It could be something as simple as your case lube. If you are using something like Imperial sizing lube and you leave the can stand open on the work bench, it will eventually pick up dust and grit making it hard to pull brass back out of the sizing dies and putting scratches on your brass.

I know y'all get tired of this stuff I write but so what if the die scratches the case?!?! Scratches don't affect anything accuracy wise - if they're just scratches. I realize that nobody was asking if accuracy was "harmed" by the scratches but I'm writing this anyhow....just in case.

Actually, I don't know why I wrote this other than to be writing something because there ain't anybody that cares what I think. :)

On The Contrary

I don't know why I wrote this other than to be writing something because there ain't anybody that cares what I think. :)

Not true Wilbur! I, for one, listen to every word you say and there are a great number of shooters all over the world that greatly appreciate this wonderful site you so graciously provide for us. An old Navy man would say, "You run a tight ship!"

Benchrest Central has a great number of experts in many different fields who unselfishly share what they know with the rest of us. Some of them do not suffer fools lightly but when someone asks an honest question in a civil manner he or she will receive a no-nonsense answer from someone here on the forum.

God bless you Wilbur. Thanks for all you do for us.

Sincerely,

Gene Beggs

Wilbur, I'm not sure you realize how little some of us know about shooting small groups and aggs.
Things that are simple to you. I would like to hear more. I pay attention to it all

Back