Scoring question

txdan

If a bullet is “unstable “ and makes an oval hole,just touching the higher scoring ring how is it scored?
I mean ~2 diameters wide.

Last edited:
You get the higher score. The scorer can’t assume the center of the hole is where he or she places the scoring reticle.

Last edited:
You get the higher score. The scorer can’t assume the center of the hole is where he or she places the scoring reticle.

Also called best edge scoring. Some clubs use worst edge. 1 club I have been told. If the bullet hole is not perfectly centered over bullseye. No bullseye.
That was a 22LR BR indoor league.....Local rules...

Higher score

If a bullet is “unstable “ and makes an oval hole,just touching the higher scoring ring how is it scored?
I mean ~2 diameters wide.

When I was match director at my local match, there was one shooter whose bullets were unstable. So much so that quite often they went through the target sideways. I always gave him the higher score if it touched the next ring (a hit is a hit.)

hmmm.... 30br 1:18 shooting 220 SMK..... Let's go shootin'

Empirical Sg testing, with our first PacNor 1:18" twist barrels, ordered from Chris Dichter, following my first reading of MODERN EXTERIOR BALLISTICS, by Robert McCoy, confirmed that, yes, one can set-up for [technically] stable, yet obviously wide and uniform yaw/pitch!:eek:

Make some 125 - or, thereabouts - 30 Cal. bullets, using the 1.150" long jacket, and run them through a 1:18" twist barrel - you'll consistently get 'key-holes' about two bullets long, but sadly, @ 100 yd., about 2.5"-3.5" groups.:eek:
You will get a "poor man's chronograph" - if your velocities, thus RPM, are good, all of the "points" will be oriented (O'clocked) very consistently . . . if only I could got them to group! :eek:;) RG

A little off topic, but on the same subject......

A few weekends ago we were at Tomball just shooting. I pulled it m HV 6PPC, 13.5 Krieger. I got it shooting quite well, and on a whim, decided to see how the Bart’s 80 grn BT wild do in that twist. I was expecting keyholes.

I loaded i with 4895, with this .055 throat PPC, it seemed I cold not really get the tune I wanted.

So I decided to just try 133. I did a little calculating and figure if I was shooting 30.2 behind a 68, around 27.0 would be about right with the 80. I already knew what seating depth this bullet likes from previous experience.

The 27 had a about .280 vertices, no pressure signs. So I upped it to 27.5. Bingo. The thing shot just as good as the 68 grn. I shot several nice “ones”.

I can’t believe that 13.5 twist stabilized that 80 grn Bart’s, and how well it shot. I previously shot it in a 1-12 with a .150 throat.

I have no idea what the velocity is, I suspect around 3150.

Here's the backer from last year. 7 ogive BT 68gn. Shot Great on Friday. 29.2 N133.
Hart barrel and 40°. He got key holes. Trying to shoot group.
Larry Feusse, the NICE Guy that he is, had some 52gn FB. I think, maybe the shooter will chime in.

waiting on Verizon to download...

Here's the backer from last year. 7 ogive BT 68gn. Shot Great on Friday. 29.2 N133.
Hart barrel and 40°. He got key holes. Trying to shoot group.
Larry Feusse, the NICE Guy that he is, had some 52gn FB. I think, maybe the shooter will chime in.

waiting on Verizon to download...

you got it correct. Temperature change was too drastic overnight that button barrel did not stay anywhere close to tune. Thanks to Larry I was able to finish the weekend. Sorry about the backers Dana.

Back