Scope mounting

Tod Soeby

I have a picture of a bench gun with TWO sets of scope rings. It even looked like a light gun. Is this overkill? Is there any benefit? Is there any down side, other than cost? It will be for my HG, so weight is of no concern.

I have never seen this type of setup used in compatition, but then again, I am still wet behind the ears, so to speak. I haven't been around that long.

Anyone seen or used 2 sets?

Thanks,
Tod

I have seen

Tod

I've seen the setup and asked the question of the shooter. They always responded that it was a precaution for moving scope within the ring or moving rings themselves. Always on a heavy recoil rifle. Makes some sense to me but overkill for an easily fixed issue in my opinion.

I saw that photo the other day. I believe the owner of the gun has a few records, a lot of won matches, and knows what he is doing. It may just be he had two sets of single screw rings laying around and decided to use them instead of purchasing a set of double screw rings. Does look very interesting though.

Dick

First question that comes to mind is - Would the additional rings put excess torque on the scope tube? Do they need to be lapped? There are other ways to prevent scope slide; I am not certain this method is viable.

The rings were purchased without dovetail, mounted on a 30 mm bar at the spacing shown and then the dovetail was machined.

It's probably not for everyone but Hey it's my damn rifle ain't it? Don

I would rather err on the side of stability. Those NF scopes are heavy. Plus, I doubt the extra weight of the rings really is an issue in the grand scheme of the rifle as a whole, weight wise.

Although people use single screw rings on scopes on a 30BR, I would rather use doubles.

The rings were purchased without dovetail, mounted on a 30 mm bar at the spacing shown and then the dovetail was machined.

It's probably not for everyone but Hey it's my damn rifle ain't it? Don

Couldn't you get them anodized Orange Don?

I guess that wouldn't look right without getting the action done too.

Dick

speaking of orange

Couldn't you get them anodized Orange Don?

I guess that wouldn't look right without getting the action done too.

Dick

I hear that Don approached Loc-Tite about adding that color to their product line! :D

Tod
Adding those extra rings is probaly used to keep the scopes tube from bending all around during recoil.
If you go to YouTube.Com and look at the video of the 50bmg being fired in slow motion you can see the scope tube being bent like a pretzel.Adding two extra rings spaced widely apart would dampen out the flex and keep the scope working longer.
Waterboy

I would think that the fact he is using the "high" rings along with the heavy Night Force scope might be the reason for the extra support.
Rich De

Todd,
Yes there is a good reason for more than 2 rings. As someone mentioned above the scope is going to "whip around a bit" during recoil. The method I use is simple. 2 rings in front and 1 in the back, all lapped while mounted on the gun. I believe this will help with the scope failure problems that always seem to pop up. I use 3 of the double screw rings on a little 6ppc.

Last edited:
Tod
I hear alot about lapping the rings before you mount your scope and I often wonder if that is the wise thing to do.We are assuming that the scope is perfectly true and in my opinion that is a huge assumption.You can put your scope between a pair of vee blocks and put a dial indicator on the tube.
On my scopes I open up the rings then fill the gap with J-B Weld and set the scope in for a completely stress free fit.
Waterboy

Tod
I hear alot about lapping the rings before you mount your scope and I often wonder if that is the wise thing to do.We are assuming that the scope is perfectly true and in my opinion that is a huge assumption.You can put your scope between a pair of vee blocks and put a dial indicator on the tube.
On my scopes I open up the rings then fill the gap with J-B Weld and set the scope in for a completely stress free fit.
Waterboy

You obviously don't swithch scopes around as much as I do!!:D I do see where this would be a solid and stress free way to mount a scope. Does the JB actualy stick to the scope, or is it a way to sort of "bed" the scope rings to fit the scope....like bedding an action? The more I think about it the better it sounds.;)

Tod
I use it as a bedding material and believe it or not I use car wax like you would use on your hotrod to shine up the paint as a release agent.I also rarely take a scope out of a set of rings.
I like those Kelbly rings with the dovetail bottom on them and just slide my scopes off of the base when I need to switch them around.
Waterboy

Back