Savage Question......

All,

I'm getting ready to throw a new barrel on a Savage 110, I'm going to lose the barrel nut (first one I've done this way), and want to know how much bolt nose to barrel face clearance y'all like? I was thinking around .008 - .010, am I in the ball park, or should I tighten it up a touch?

Thanks in advance,
Med.

Savage Headspacing

I do quite a number of Savages .005 to .010. On hunting guns. Chamfer the mouth of the chamber also.
Nat Lambeth

FWIW, the Savage Target Action spec is .130" max barrel face to bolt face. No min given.

RWO

Bench gun vs Hunting gun

After one cleans up the bolt front and face there usually is between .117 to .125 from the bolt face to the bolt front. The finish tenon length is going to depend on the recoil lug used. I like 1.200 to 1.250 cylinder diameter in front of the recoil lug. Barrel nut barrels generally are the tenon diameter then tapered. When I use a 1.20 to 1.250 cylinder, I turn the tenon and additional .020 longer so I have some adjustment but no large gap in front of the nut.

I build my hunting guns loose so that trash and powder residue don't jam up my gun in the field.

Target guns can be built tighter but if you build them tighter than .003 bolt clearence then on a hot day you may also get jammed up from metal expansion. I like the .005 as a safe number.

Nat Lambeth

The ones I have done recently have been kept at .007. This is no nut style and
not pre chambered. In this particular chambering, I'm in never never land with powder
and have no problem with cases or junk that collects in the lug area.

Thanks for all the replies, I guess I was some what in the ball park, .005 - .007 seems like a reasonable clearance. I think that is what I'll shoot for, that should be plenty for the type of shooting we do out here. We normally shoot mostly through the winter, but we do also shoot during summer, so a little looser might be better.

Thanks again,
Med.

Last edited:
Back