Savage Extracter

L

Larry Wilkins

OK Guys,
This is a quest for info regarding a Savage Silo Rifle Model110 S Series J.
It has a bronze extracter.
And it is in two peaces, and I have soldered it back together, but don't know how long it will last.
Any help, like ( the new ones are steel)?

Thanks

Brownell's has extractors for $5.20 each in their latest catalog. I'm not sure if the new extractors are direct replacements for the older bronze ones, but if you call Brownell's one of their tech people can likely tell you.

The new ones will fit just fine. Order a couple of them plus the springs and balls. Having spares ensures that you will never break or lose another one.

Savage has upgraded their extractors, more then one "generation" might not hurt to give them a call, they will sell direct.

Every time I work on a Savage with the bronze extracter it gets replaced, cures problems before they start, I'v seen too many extraction - ejection problems caused by bronze. Savage replaced them for a reason

It is not bronze, it is Beryllium and your not supposed to work with that stuff.
When you install the new extractor, use a 9/64 or 3.5mm ball bearing.

EDIT A Beryllium extractor is stronger than a steel one btw, that's why they used it in the first place.

Last edited:
Larry Wilkins

Howdy Larry!
I have Savage 110 S Series J Silhouette rifle too!

I am curious, how does your shoot? I have only seen a couple of these, ever, in the flesh. I have found some folks who have talked about them with high regard.

Mine will shoot under half an inch at 100 yards. Possibly better if I would have had a better scope on it at the time. It is chambered in .308, and frankly, has outshot my 40x. I got the trigger down to 18 ounces, and fairly crisp too. I have read that Savage triggers on the older rifles were not that good. This one seems to be. The Wundhammer pisto grip is extremely comfortable. I always thought it was one of the best looking Savage's I had seen, until recently. I still think it looks fine. But pretty is as pretty does, and it shoots well, therefore, it is pretty!

Ironically, I will probably be listing it on gunbroker soon. I am moving in a different direction. It is agravating being left handed sometimes!

But I have a lot of respect for that rifle. I just want to know someone else's opinion of these rifles, that actually owns one.

Thank you!
Greg

SSS (advertiser on www.savageshooters.com) also has all these parts. When you change the extractor have to be careful or ball and spring will go flying; hence I order extras.

gordon

Howdy Larry!
I have Savage 110 S Series J Silhouette rifle too!

I am curious, how does your shoot? I have only seen a couple of these, ever, in the flesh. I have found some folks who have talked about them with high regard.

Mine will shoot under half an inch at 100 yards. Possibly better if I would have had a better scope on it at the time. It is chambered in .308, and frankly, has outshot my 40x. I got the trigger down to 18 ounces, and fairly crisp too. I have read that Savage triggers on the older rifles were not that good. This one seems to be. The Wundhammer pisto grip is extremely comfortable. I always thought it was one of the best looking Savage's I had seen, until recently. I still think it looks fine. But pretty is as pretty does, and it shoots well, therefore, it is pretty!

Ironically, I will probably be listing it on gunbroker soon. I am moving in a different direction. It is agravating being left handed sometimes!

But I have a lot of respect for that rifle. I just want to know someone else's opinion of these rifles, that actually owns one.

Thank you!
Greg

Greg,
I don't have the silhouette model, but lusted after on in .308 many years ago. Should have sweet talked the finance manager and figured a way to get it. Mine's a varmint model that's now got a .223 Ackley barrel on it without the barrel nut. It shoots better than I'm able to anymore, but on a good day it'll do half MOA or better.

It makes the prairie dogs sorry that they came out of their holes for sure.

The extractors are a beryllium copper alloy that as PEI Rob points out is nasty stuff. It's mostly used in items that have to be non-sparking but strong. Just checked my Merck Index and it says minimal exposure to Be or its salts can lead to some nasty health problems that may show up in 3 months to 15 years. Probably why it's no longer used for the Savage extractors.

memory tells me that inhaling the dust (or the salts) is the worst thing to do.

If you bombard beryllium with alpha particles, you get neutrons. Neutrons are what you need to start up a U-235 chain reaction. Beryllium was extensively machined during the Secret City effort, I believe, and that's where folks learned of its toxicity.

It was also used for heat conductivity by ham radio operators, and they were cautioned not to machine it.

Greg, I might be interested if you sell that Silhouette model. I just pm'd you.
Chris.

Savage extracter

Well , what a great responce, thanks all. The rifle is about to get an up-grade before it goes back in the safe for another 30 years.

Greg: The rifle , out of the box shooting, 168s - 39gr- 3031 was 1 inch tall and 3/4 wide. Did a spot bed front and rear and the top flattened out.

Just a great rifle and I have mentioned it to some of the Savage F Class guys and they had never heard of the gun. Will show it off in BC thie Summer.

Thanks for the info

Larry

Back