Savage 12BR 6mm BR Norma direction

Bpike

I know that in general when you say Savage and Benchrest, people will break into 2 camps. The “just buy a Custom”, you’ll save in the long run. I agree 100%. However, this rifle came up for auction, and I got it for less than $600. I also don’t intend to try and shoot competition with it, but rather make it a mid to long range prairie poodle rifle. Most of my shooting is done from a sturdy bench with a machine rest and rear bag. So this sort of rifle fit the bill, and for the price….. In any case, I am looking for a place to start. For those that have competed with these rifles, do they like jump, do they like to be shoved in the lands? Generally shoving in the lands for a varmint rifle is not preferable, just because you don’t want to pull the bullet out of the case if you unload, but I don’t care. I’ll just send it. Also, Lapua brass, is it just unobtainable due to the conflict in Ukraine? I am just looking for a place to start from someone that has already been there. Any constructive comment or advice is not only welcomed, but appreciated. Thanks in advance.

First off. I don't compete, just love shooting bug holes. If you shoot a 6BR, best to have another rig to take along cause the 6BR gets boring real fast. Not sure how many rounds you can count if they're all going in the same hole.
All my Savage rifles are set up as single shots, from the factory with a single shot action or single shot feed ramps. Never cared for the idea of chewing up expensive 6BR Lapua brass trying to get it to feed from a mag.
All loads (I roll all my own ammo) are built with the bullets seated .010 into the lands. I HAVE pulled a "loaded round" or two but knew ahead of time what to expect.
Live round, barrel pointed "up" so any powder doesn't get into the bolt lugs.
What I have found out over time is, "a load with a jump to the lands" will start showing pressure at a given point.
That same exact load (no changes) with a .010 jam into the lands will allow me to go hotter (if I choose) without showing pressure signs. Chambers are cut with ZERO freebore. As the throat wears I can still reach the lands to jam.
All my loads are "mid range" so my brass doesn't get hammered. Primer pockets are still snug.
I use Precision Bushing Bump Dies so my brass doesn't grow and need trimming. 25 to 30 reloads and still no trimming needed. No extractor rod or springs. Case stays on the bolt heat till I pick it off. YMMV.

so the real question is how many rounds down the bbl on the rifle you bought ?
take a 58 gr Hornady 8mm bullet and find the lands..what is the touch length. there is not generic best load that i know of. for varmit shooting i use hornady 58's, i know others that have used 70's. my load for MY RIFLE is a hornady 58vmax, a2230 powder and tula small rifle primers. it works well in a 24" 12 twist bbl. inspsite of the above claims, the shooter says he does not shoot competition, shoots savages and it get boring shooting in the same hole..please take his comments with a grain of salt..about the size of a large salt lick. i do shoo tin competition, and basically got rid of my production savage actions as they are trash in the precision world. the savage single shot actions work very well and i have a couple. lapua 6br brass is available right now with the lowest price being 125/100...but what you need NOW...none of my competiton rifles shoot best with a jam...all are best with a jump...small jumps 15 thou or less

First off. I don't compete, just love shooting bug holes. If you shoot a 6BR, best to have another rig to take along cause the 6BR gets boring real fast. Not sure how many rounds you can count if they're all going in the same hole.
I take a number of rifles, Sako .223, Cooper .20Tac, Savage LRPV .22-250, a frankenstein AR with a 24" Shilen barrel. So, the purpose of the 6BR is when I get bored, and want to reach out a bit further for fun. As far as the "same hole", P-dog country is pretty windy, so I would settle for a reduced hit rate at range anyway.
so the real question is how many rounds down the bbl on the rifle you bought ?
I have no idea, I suspect that the rifle was used as a "factory class" rifle until the barrel began to show signs of inaccuracy, and then ended up at auction. I really don't have any idea. I plan to shoot it and see how it does before I pay for any barrel work. I shoot all my rifles suppressed at P-dogs, so don't want to have the barrel threaded until I see that it shoots. If it doesn't, I'll have a new barrel fit to it. I think it currently has an 8 twist, so if I do rebarrel, I'll have to find the bullet I want to shoot (gonna be a compromise between cost and accuracy), and then choose a twist based on that bullet.
shoots savages and it get boring shooting in the same hole
I am a fisherman, so I am familiar with such talk. If I can get something that shoots 1/2 MOA, I am generally happy for my purposes. That's the good thing about shootin' at prairie poodles. If I miss, I'll just try again.

Back