Savage 12 Benchrest in 308 Win

Teleshooter

I purchased this rifle a couple years ago with the idea of getting involved in a local 100yd group match. I put it on the back burner for a while, then bought a Leupold Competition 45X45 to top it off. The problem is the length of pull is too long and I can't get within the eye relief of the scope when over the rifle. Since its not adjustable I'm facing cutting the buttstock and was wondering if anyone has already done this? Any pointers?
Thanks,
Bruce

i am not sure i would bother with that unless this is just a local club match.
you can go look at the factory rifle forum for some data on what they can do with a better bbl.
for 100 group in BENCHREST competition it will likely not be competitive.

specifically which rifle is this ??

Its a local club match and its mostly to see if I'm really interested in diving in to BR shooting. I've been shooting LR at steel and paper informally for years and have never competed. It may take the fun out of shooting for me. :(
Its a bone stock Savage Model 12 Benchrest in 308 Win. Laminated stock, single shot.

I purchased this rifle a couple years ago with the idea of getting involved in a local 100yd group match. I put it on the back burner for a while, then bought a Leupold Competition 45X45 to top it off. The problem is the length of pull is too long and I can't get within the eye relief of the scope when over the rifle. Since its not adjustable I'm facing cutting the buttstock and was wondering if anyone has already done this? Any pointers?
Thanks,
Bruce[/QUOTE

Congratulations.... and welcome to The Rabbit Hole

Access a good 12" chopsaw/miter saw setup. I've got mine inset into an 8ft-long benchtop rollaround. Use a new(er) fine toothed finish blade, something with lots of small carbide teeth.

Find an automotive paint store or shop and buy some car painters masking tape. (Don't bother with the Lowe's/Depot stuff)

Take the factory buttplate off.

Set up an offset marking tool or, if you're a steady hand just use your fingers, and make parallel lines prox 1/4" apart starting at the back....these extra lines are for PRACTICE cuts to see if #1, your setup is correct, if your cut is square....#2 your saw blade is cutting properly to a perfectly smooth edge and #3 it gives you a chance to try some lengths knowing that once you get the feel you want you'll make one more slice just the exact thickness of your new buttplate.

Shim the stock using rubber, cardboard, leather sheets..... whatever you've to hand. No need for clamping and such, just shim it against movement, grip it well and slice 'er off.

TOO SHORT is much better than too long. It's wikkid easy to add length back. Kick-Eez https://kickeezproducts.com/ will be your friend if/when you ever need to bring it back to stock.

Use the cut-off slices as a template to find your screw spacing and pre-drill your new screwholes to the minor diameter of your buttplate screws........ but shoot, for now just don't bother too awful much.....just shoot 'er off the raw wood or contact cement a slip of rubber to the end to try 'er out.

MOST OF ALL.....get out and DO IT!

Seriously, think it thru, ask questions as you're doing but don't let fear of screwing up stop you from hacking away..... ain't NUTTIN' irreplaceable on a Savage, ya' cain't wreck it! ;)

ASK the questions, the only stupid question is the one you didn't ask, but mainly, proceed and

enjoy

al

BTW Teleshooter...... if you really want to wring that sucker out consider these three BR-related items, items which are specifically addressed by BR chamberings and setups;

#1-your rifle will benefit enormously from a stable bedding and bbl free-floating job... or JOBS. There is a learning curve with bedding BUT, never forget that hogging her back out with a dremel and re-bedding is only time. YOU CAN'T SCREW IT UP PERMANENTLY, so proceed, do it twice't.... or 3 times.... it don't matter. Tremendous opportunity for improvement here. Remember these two things. First, upon firing the parts are ripping UPWARDS and back. Trying to tear the barreled action out of the stock and second that the purpose of the bedding job is two-fold, to allow the parts to move freely (free-floated barrel) and to force them to return exactly each time.

#2-consider a set of Wilson neck-size hand dies or a Redding "S-Type necksize-only bushing die"..... this will allow the proper fitment of your cases. It has drawbacks but WILL allow your rifle to reach it's full accuracy potential cost-effectively

#3-if you want to take it to the absolute nth level of potential for factory chamber/bbl conside making cases from 30-06 brass and turning necks for proper clearance. (((Your factory chamber has a wildly over-sized neck which detracts from accuracy))))

read lots, learn to use the search function, keep accurate notes/records and choose your areas of experimentation wisely and simply . . ie, a good practice is to change/experiment with only 1 thing at a time, document change

sorry, I fergot to explain..... use the masking tape to wrap the stock where you're cutting. Good masking tape supports the wood so that the cutting teeth exit cleanly without splinters and fuzz.

also to mark on of course

sorry, I fergot to explain..... use the masking tape to wrap the stock where you're cutting. Good masking tape supports the wood so that the cutting teeth exit cleanly without splinters and fuzz.

also to mark on of course

All well stated, AL . . . where did the Akicita catch up with you, and herd you back to camp?;) RG

I recently shortened the butt on a factory Savage BVSS laminated stock. Pretty much as alinwa described except I loped a full inch off at one time as I knew where I wanted to end up. Used my 10 inch Dewalt miter saw with a fine toothed panel cutting blade with blue painters tape wrapped around the stock and the stock well supported in the saw.

Buzz, chop, done. Took about a half a cup of coffee, start to finish. As my German grandmother would say....."And dat, Alan, is dat." ;

Good shootin' :) -Al

Last edited:
What no clenched teeth , tongue twisted up, shaking hands and sweating forehead- geez all the fun's gone out this.

club level you maybe ok ( i do not know what the others are shooting)
buy best bullets even for short range, but a bullet you can reach the lands with so you can tune.
a hot load will beat you up and lead to mistakes
the single shot action is good as is the trigger.
only shooting will let you know about the bbl.

consider talking to shooters...br shooters.
screw the bbl off and screw on a 30br bbl or even a 6br bbl and you are way ahead

All well stated, AL . . . where did the Akicita catch up with you, and herd you back to camp?;) RG

Ohhh Yeahhh and, Teleshooter, buy some a' this man's bullets.

Don't ask, don't shop, don't even consider the details.....

If Randy, R.G.Robinett, BIB Bullets will sell you some bullets, just

BUY THEM!!

Thanks all for the tips. Tomorrow is the day. Got the miter saw out of the shed and have some marks on the stock. I’ll take some pictures and post them, good or bad!
Bruce

Attachments

• buttstock1.jpg
    buttstock1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 96
  • buttstock2.jpg
    buttstock2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 88
Last edited:
so before cutting the stock, have you looked at ways to move the scope back ??

yes and that i a very good point too. I have the ring bases all the way back in the last slot, and the scope itself is as far back in the rings as it will go. I should have said that at the start so good comment. The only other scope related fix I could do is maybe use one of the offset AR type scope mounts, but the bases are high quality steel as are the rings, so I hate to give these up.
I don't expect this rifle to be able to shoot with the benchrest crowd as some have already pointed out. I may be able to shoot with some informal local clubs for fun, but the rifle should be great at the new range I joined that has targets out to 1200 yds. I'm not sure who Savage made these rifles for, but I'm 6-4 and I don't usually have rifles with too long LOP for me. They should have added some removeable spacers as they do on some of their other rifles.

Thanks!

and if you call to order them, have a note pad handy and be ready to hear the TRUTH and write it all down.
I have been using Randy's bullets for over a decade and won a decent amount with them, and when I didn't it wasn't because they failed.

If you happen to have any CBA matches out your way. Your rifle would be very competitive in the Production class. But you would also have to be casting your own Linotype bullets.

Well I cut the buttstock today. Here are a couple of pictures. Thanks for your support and giving me the courage to do it.
Bruce

Attachments

• buttstock1.jpg
    buttstock1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 89
  • buttstock2.jpg
    buttstock2.jpg
    1.7 MB · Views: 81
Well I cut the buttstock today. Here are a couple of pictures. Thanks for your support and giving me the courage to do it.
Bruce
May I ask.....

Did you mean to cut it out of parallel with original cut? I'm not trying to pick on your setup but it looks "upside down" to me, as in....generally the angle of the butt-cut is close to 90 degrees to the top of the stock, in other words if the setup were flipped over it might be easier to hold tightly against the rail??

Cut looks clean in the pix though

Well I cut the buttstock today. Here are a couple of pictures. Thanks for your support and giving me the courage to do it.Bruce

Looks good. Nothing to it but to do it. ;)

Having the butt too long is a common mistake. Being able to get behind the gun properly is the first step to having correct table manners. :)

Good shootin'. -Al

Back