Saum help

L

L.G

Hey Guys, I am considering a 300 SAUM build does anyone have any info. on this cartridge, for example how does it perform at a 1000 yrd.

A lot of the Long range guys are using the 300 Win Ackley in the 30 caliber stuff. but as far as the SAUM goes there is some cool stuff going on with the 7mm SAUM with a shoulder change etc used in long range benchrest. the &mm bullets do have a edge in the ballistic coeficent which helps with the wind drift and bullet drop all other things being equal (Velocity, weight etc.) The 6.5x284 is a favorite for good reason but again the bullets are slicker than the 30 Calibers. 338 bullets are slick but tend to put a beating on you after fireing enough rounds for a match.
The 30 SAUM will do fine at 1000 yards and if you have a good smith chamber the gun and do your part you can be competetive. However I think there could be better choices. just my humble oppinion I hope I did not step on too many toes downing the 30s. Just oppinions here and I do not want to start anything.

30 saum

Why not a 30 WSM. Brass is readily available. It has a proven record as a winner at 1000 yards and a bit more case capacity.

I built a 7mm RSAUM for 1,000 yard competition this year. I thought about the .30 calibers and different cases and compared ballistics of different bullets at different velocities vs. recoil (since I shoot prone) and settled on the 7mm. I am pleased to say that I made the right choice for me. I see no difference in wind drift between my 7mm with the 180gr Bergers and the bigger 300 Win. mags. with the 190 and 210 grain bullets. In fact I'm outscoring most of them. As for the .30 RSAUM, I think the case may be a little small capacity wise to get the most out of the bigger bullets. If you want to stay with .30 you might want to look at the WSM or .300 Win. mag. case. But if you're willing to step down the 7mm has performed well for me.

SAUM help

One flyer, what reamer design is most popular I have thought strongly about the WSM?

Back