28-May-2011...... Single UL & SOTY
25-Jun-2011...... Single UL & SOTY
23-Jul-2011...... Single UL & SOTY
27-Aug-2011...... Single UL & SOTY
24-Sep-2011...... Single UL
22-Oct-2011...... Single UL
26-Nov-2011...... Single UL

Bill,
My hunting property is right around San Angelo, and Have often wondered about this style of shooting. What would one need in order to "not embarrass" himself at a 50/50 shoot? I'm talking about rifle here. I'm assuming my windflags, rest, and bag set up from my short range benchrest set up will work.

Last edited:
Wes,

I looked at your website.

You asked what equipment one would would need to not embarrass himself. It sounds like you have had some good experience in center-fire benchrest. If you want to win, you are going to need a rifle with a good action with a custom barrel complete with a tuner and a good scope and some selected ammo. You can use the same rest that you use for center-fire but a good one piece rest, such as a James Pappas rest.

You can shoot and compete with a tuned Remington 40X or a Winchester 52 or a Anschutz, but without a custom barrel, you will have a hard time winning today.

James Pappas would be a good man to talk to in your area. He has his shop in East Fort Worth and will take the time to talk to you and show you a gun or two.

Dan Killough, over in Winters, Texas has all sorts of used 22 benchrest rifles and he will let you shoot them on his range and he is a dealer in Eley Ammo. He is a good man you can trust. He will not give you bad advice.

If you are in the San Angelo area on one of our shoot days, bring any 22 with a scope and we will let you shoot with us. You may want to shoot our easier funfire target.

Watch out! This can become addictive.

Bill Wynne

Back