Sako extractors

K

KenG

Is there a trick I'm missing on getting a Sako extractor to work reliably 100% of the time or do they just not work that good. I built a 300WSM and installed a Sako extractor and I just can't seem to make it extract reliably. The cuts are all to spec and it works but I want that brass throwing not popping off half way through the cycle of my bolt leaving it sitting inside the action.

Unreliable Sako extractor on Rem 700

There has to be a mechanical reason for the problem . The brass should be captive unti the lip of the case clears the ejection port at any reasonable speed of opening the bolt. The ejector should then flip the case out of the ejection port. Possible problems I can think of include the case head having excesive radial clearance in the bolt face. If a factory magnum bolt with the factory extractor removed was used and the groove in the bolt head where the factroy extractor fits wasn't filled that could cause the described problem. It's also possible the Sako extractor claw is not seating into the extraction groove properly. Careful nspection while opening the bolt should show what's happening.

I have two Rem 700's and an XP-100 with Sako extractors which have no reliability prooblem. I've not had problems with factory 700 extractors either.

One of two things has happened. maybe three in any and all combinations of these.
1. your bolt counterbore is to shallow
2. you put too large a chamfer on the inside of the bolt nose
3. the diameter of the bolt nose is too large

All these allow the case to kick out from under the extractor when it clears the chamber and hits the side of the action. Common problem for first timers.

Dave

Dave kind of covered it...

Unfortunately the conversion back to the excellent 700 extractor system is very expensive... possibly a new bolt...

700 extractor

I have one 700 that has an m16 extractor. It is so big it would cover up any previous sako hole.

Cassidy how do you like that m-16 extractor?

One of two things has happened. maybe three in any and all combinations of these.
1. your bolt counterbore is to shallow
2. you put too large a chamfer on the inside of the bolt nose
3. the diameter of the bolt nose is too large

This rifle had a 300WSM bolt face from the factory. Does the placement of the spring hole have any bearing on the pressure the Sako extractor applies. I centered the spring hole. I didn't do anything to modify the bolt nose, is this an issue? Thanks for the help. Oh, I already cut a coil or two off of my ejector spring with no difference.

Ken

Spring tension on the extractor itself is not the issue. Sounds like there is to much room inside the bolt nose. I always bore mine out and silver solder a bushing in to make a nice neat installation .140" depth and about .005" over case head diameter.
As I said, put a much weaker spring in the ejector this may make a difference.
After that I can't help much from here.

WSM's have a rebated rim, Remington may of had to chamfer the inside to get the case to pivot out of the bolt. Same issue with a 6.5-284.

Dave

Ok that makes sense now I'm sure my bolt nose is oversize then, I'll whip up a bushing and silver solder it in. Before I do that I'll locate a weaker spring for the ejector and test it out.

I have a PTG 223 bolt with the Sako extractor. I don't know the maker of the actual extractor but they made the 'rim cut' way oversize in the fore and aft direction. This means that the rim is closer to the bolt nose when pulling the case and it would be easier for it to fall out of the bolt.

I don't run an ejector so it doesn't bother me on a functional level.

As an additional note, I use this bolt with a 6PPC bbl with rebated rims on the cases. I had to radically recut the bolt face to get it to work. If I remember correctly I now have .120 depth to the bolt face versus the original Remmy spec .155". I am happy to have .030" more of the web up into the chamber.

Last edited:
Ken G.

Just out of curosity, do you have a scope mounted on the rifle when you test ejection? and is it low mounted with a large windage turret/cap. I have had at least two Sako installations that I thought I screwed up, only to find that the slight angle change of the ejection trajectory flips the case into the turret and it falls back into the receiver. With a stock ejector spring the whole event happens so quick you can not see the case hit the turret. Try removing the scope, if you have one on the rifle, and see what happens. You might get lucky.

For small aggs.,
Steve Kostanich

No scope mounted I am testing after extractor install. You can see the case pushing against the reciever wanting to get thrown in a big way it just doesn't make it; it pops out of bolt face resulting in a premature extraction.

Have you slipped a case under the extractor with the bolt out to see what's happening? How much free play do you have between the rim & the extractor with the case firmly presses against the bolt face - maybe the extractor is fitted too far forward & doesn't capture the case?

John

The only requirment is for the extractor to pull the case out of the chamber. It serves no other function. The counterbore in the bolt captures the case.

Dave

Have you tried working the bolt briskly ? The geometry of a short case makes them more likely to have ejection issues.

I have had the bolt out and everthing seems to look like a good fit around the case. If I work the bolt briskly it's a 50/50 proposition; sometimes the case comes out somtimes it drops in the magazine port. The case always extracts no problem just getting it out of the rifle is the problem.

You do not need to silver solder the ring in the bolt face. I have done many bolt face conversions and use JB Weld to hold in the spacer ring.

Don

Ken, Also my experience is with a weaker ejector spring the case will fall off of the bolt face. Put the factory spring back.

Don

how muchclearance

How much or little clearance should there be in the fit of the case in into the boltface. I ask this because I have a situation where the case is dropped by the bolt in the loading area before it can be ejected. I have used spring strengths from one extreme to the other extreme including the ones from the action manufacturer to the spring set from Brownell's to some I have gathered from other sources. In my trials of this problem there seems to be a very narrow area of spring tension versus bolt operating speed that works- sometimes, but not always. Right now the only way it works at all is by operating the bolt as fast as humanly possible. The bolt holds the case through the slideback motion but drops it just as the casemouth enters the loading port (this is a right bolt, right port, right eject action). This is a Kelbly action with a sliding plate type extractor. This is a 30X47, the cases measures .466 to .468 in rim diameter depending on the manufacturer. The boltface measures .477-.478 in it's diameter and there is very little chamfer at the edge.

Back