Sad news

DT1

Just received word Jerry Simison passed away Friday night after a long battle with Parkinson's Disease.

Jerry was one of the men of Benchrest who everyone admired and liked. He was willing to help anyone who asked. He was a superb gunsmith and always remained humble. He fought this disease and never sought pity from anyone. We are diminished. Jerry, rest in peace and to the wife and son...God bless you and we will pray for you in this troubled time. Our condolences to all of his family and friends. James Mock

He fought this disease and never sought pity from anyone.

True words James. He was a really remarkable guy. Always competitive, always helpful, always determined to overcome his illness. It is such a pity that this disease took Jerry. We could have all benefitted from having him around longer.

I am grateful for him luring me into gunsmithing and machining. He always wanted me to know the "latest stuff" and looked out for me in terms of barrels, actions, scopes, etc.

Thanks Jerry for being a good friend.

Chris

Damn it has been a tough winter...

We are losing too many of the real gentleman of our sport. I will miss his big gunny sack of peanuts at the matches and the jocular ribbing.

My sincere condolences to Jerry's family and the state of Minnesota where he set so many speed boat records for wins and times.

God bless you Jerry,

Jim

Years ago

Jerry chambered a 3 groove Lilja in .30 BR for me. It was hands down the shooting'ist barrel I've ever had. He was a gentleman to deal with. I knew he had the issue with Parkinson's and I'm so sorry to hear of his passing. Greg

Jerry was fierce competior on the firing line. He liked to go to the big matches to see all his friends. A lot of you knew him as a top flight gunsmith, but in his younger days he was a champion boat racer, who would travel the boat circuit. Jerry's home was full of his boat racing trophies. It didn't matter what he was doing there was only one way to do it and that was the right way, no short cuts for Jerry. Jerry was taught to do chambering by Pat McMillan because he thought he was one of the best gunsmiths. Jerry always had time on Fridays before the match to help other shooters who were have trouble with a rifle. Seldom did he get time to tune up his own gun,yet he was always in the winners circle. Jerry just knew how to make a gun shoot. Jerry will be missed by all of us. The world needs more people like Jerry Simison. Please keep Kathy, Todd and family in your prayers, as Jerry has left the fire line for the last time.

Jerry Lahr

The following is a brief Obituary

Karl J. "Jerry" Simison

Karl J. "Jerry" Simison, 71, Detroit Lakes, formerly of Pelican Lake, died Friday, February 28, at McIntosh Senior Living in McIntosh, MN. Funeral services will be 2:00 PM Thursday at David-Donehower Funeral Home, Deacon Russell Kocemba, officiating. Friends may call 4:00 - 7:00 with a prayer service at 7:00 PM Wednesday and 1 hour prior to the service on Thursday at David-Donehower Funeral Home. A complete obituary will run in a later edition of the Fargo Forum.

David-Donehower Funeral Home is serving the family.

David Donehower Funeral Home
609 US Hwy 10 East
Detroit Lakes, MN 56501
218-847-4147

info@daviddonehower.com

Regards,
Scott Moser

Back