Ruger American. Anybody shoot one?

Decent for the $$. I`ve seen 3 at the range and all have shot on avg ~ 1.25" @ 100 yd or better. One I got a crack at and managed to drop 2 in one hole with a 3rd ~ .2" from the others.
The trigger is a Savage clone, and nothing to write home about. Also I`m not a fan of the plastic stock, but for a inexpensive hunting rifle, IMHO it is hard to beat,
BTW I fired a 270 Win, I don`t believe they come in short chamberings

My dad got one in 30 06. The first group he shot with it was the best. Shot a .75 3 shot with 130 gr. sierras. Shot it the next 2 hours with everything 150s 165s 180s never got back under an 1in. It would make a good hunter. Most groups about 1.5 some 2. Got a decent trigger adjustable.

A freind has 1 in 30-06 I've got 1 in 270 Win. The 06" is a 1/2" rifle (NO JOKE) with what he uses for breakin (47.5 grs IMR 3031 Fed 210's, 110gr. 30 carbine bullets 2785 fps on the chrono, BUT the bolt falls out when shaken/jiggled even a LITTLE bit when in the rearmost position (resting against the bolt stop). The 270 is 1 1/4" (honestley haven't worked up loads for it yet)but NO bolt issues. The mag is well retained , no rattles ,it has a descent recoil pad, I'm not a big fan of plastic stocks but it should be a fair truck gun. I paid $325 for the 270 (in Mn.)he paid $335 for the 06" in S.D. Note* he is not planing on haveing the bolt issue fixed as it does shoot so well.

Last edited:
Back