Ruger #1 not firing

E

ekaphoto

Picked up a #1 circa late 70's in 22-250 today. I took it out for a test run and several times when I loaded a round in the hammer did not cock and I had to work the lever a second time and it shot. I did clean the barrel out and spray gun oil on and in it without disassemble. Any ideas what might be the problem? I am thinking possibly trigger adjustment is bad but not even sure what screw adjusts the trigger. Any ideas?

Those #1's do not have a truly adjustable trigger. I sounds to me like someone may have messed with the sear surface on the hammer and went too far.

Jim

If you sprayed oil in the trigger area, you might try to clean it out with a spray solvent.

J

The rifle you have is early enough to have the 3 screw adjustable trigger and you would be better served to post your issue in the Gunsmithing section on this site. There also a Ruger #1 Yahoo Forum with several dedicated #1 Smiths, it is a very active and informative site and answers to questions such as yours are addressed quite rapidly. They also have a yearly Ruger #1,3 only Postal Brench Rest match with about 5 seperate classes based on calibers and it is quite a big deal and the rules can be found on their web site.

J.Louis

Those #1's do not have a truly adjustable trigger. I sounds to me like someone may have messed with the sear surface on the hammer and went too far.

Jim

+1. Those #1's have a pretty healthy sear engagement. Sounds like someone has worked on yours. How light is the trigger on it?

Mine was made 78 or 79 according to the Ruger website serial number look up. I understand 75 was the last year for three screw triggers. mine is a two screw. The trigger is not too bad actually. I am afraid someone may have hacked up the sear. I just have not had a chance to pull it apart yet with work etc etc. It was pretty gunked up when I got it and I hosed it down good with lube and scrubbed the barrel before shooting it. I did not do a disassembly yet. hopefully it is a dirt issue but my gut says it is the sear.

Thanks for the feedback.

Been years since I've been in a No. 1 but I believe there is a sear spring. May want to check that to make sure it's pushing the sear against the hammer to engage the sear notch. If it's broken or has a different or cut spring, this could be part of the problem.

Fixed it. Long story short the ejector strut adjustment screw was out of adjustment.

Back