Rifle conversions

S

suunsu

Greetings all

Does anyone know of a table or list that shows what a given caliber rifle can be converted to? For instance can a .308 be converted to a .300 wsm? I have access to some old rifles and would like to convert them calibers I'm interested in shooting.

Rich

Any book or website containing cartridge diagrams will give you what you need. Something like the Nosler reloading manual will cover all common chamberings.

al

Greetings all

Does anyone know of a table or list that shows what a given caliber rifle can be converted to? For instance can a .308 be converted to a .300 wsm? I have access to some old rifles and would like to convert them calibers I'm interested in shooting.

Rich

Talk to your gunsmith!!! Some "old actions" where not designed to withstand the chamber pressures found in modern rounds. Some actions just aren't worth the trouble of fitting to a new chambering. Better safe than sorry.

Luck, tim

A .308 action can be converted to WSM, but it will have to have the bolt face opened up and the feed rails opened up, plus the correct magazine parts for the WSM. Once the action is converted to use for a WSM, there is no going back. I'd suggest using an action that was originally a WSM or a SAUM if you want to build a WSM as it will be simpler and cost less. With what off the shelf rifles are costing now days at around $500 for a Remington SPS, I'd look into a Stiller, Borden or one of the other Remington clones. Or if you can find one a controlled round push feed Winchester 70 in a WSM chamberin works very well for building a custom rifle in WSM.

Back