retarded scales

J

jaybic

Hey all,

I am not sure whats going on but I think both of my scales went loco.

I have a RCBS 505 and an RCBS 750 rangemaster digital and they both seem to have caught the flu.

The 505 when you try to zero it seems like it has some sort of magnetic pull to it. I have it set for 40 grains of H414 and I get about 38 grains throwing a charge and trickle in the last bit and it wont even move off bottomed out(way too light) and then THUNK...way to heavy!! I thought maybe some sort of static electricity so I kinda rubbed a magnet on it and now it wont zero. Any ideas???

On my digital, I turn it on and calibrate it by the owners manual and it reads 0.0 after I zero out the pan. Then I weigh something and remove it and it reads 0.2 or 0.1 and the longer I let it set the farther off it gets which is why I went back to using a beam scale. I guess I thought they were supposed to be more accurate or consistant.

Heck, I dont know, maybe I was reading the directions upside down and didnt notice.

Puzzled,

Jamie

Hey all,

I am not sure whats going on but I think both of my scales went loco.

I have a RCBS 505 and an RCBS 750 rangemaster digital and they both seem to have caught the flu.

The 505 when you try to zero it seems like it has some sort of magnetic pull to it. I have it set for 40 grains of H414 and I get about 38 grains throwing a charge and trickle in the last bit and it wont even move off bottomed out(way too light) and then THUNK...way to heavy!! I thought maybe some sort of static electricity so I kinda rubbed a magnet on it and now it wont zero. Any ideas???

On my digital, I turn it on and calibrate it by the owners manual and it reads 0.0 after I zero out the pan. Then I weigh something and remove it and it reads 0.2 or 0.1 and the longer I let it set the farther off it gets which is why I went back to using a beam scale. I guess I thought they were supposed to be more accurate or consistant.

Heck, I dont know, maybe I was reading the directions upside down and didnt notice.

Puzzled,

Jamie

OUCCHHHHH!!!! :(

Keep the magnets AWAY FROM THE SCALES!!! Static electricity can't be eliminated with a magnet, just ground it or rub a dryer sheet on it.

For the digitals remember that they must be leveled, must be allowed to acclimate or reach room temperature for two days and must be in an area free from drafts.

AND well away from magnets, TV's cordless phones or any number of electronic emitters.

hth

al

My Flourescent desk lamp interferes with my electronic scale.

The mechanical has a certain weight where it sticks and doesn't measure correctly all the time. Think the balance edge on the beam needs polished or is worn out.

I assume the 505 beam scale uses a magnet to dampen movement. This could be bent too close or too far. The pivots could also be worn, my scale came with instructions not to leave the scale setup when not in use, as the small amount of air movement will bounce the scale and wear the pivots.

I have also seen posts where guys have found cleaning the pivots with solvent will remove any dirt or buildup and return the scale to working condition.

Jim

Ditto what Lynn said....had the same problem myself q tip/alcohol did the trick...also make sure there are no drafts by your loading bench (heat vent, a.c., fan, etc....) chris

Scales.....

The 505 was made by Ohaus for RCBS, so call them (Ohaus), they will give you an RA to Ohaus in New Jersey, pay to ship it, it'll come back diagnosed, fixed, & returned to you in about a week, total, at no other cost. When you get it back, send the other; its quick, & cheap.

I think it would be an odd coincidence that both scales would magically start to screw up on there own.

Check your environment.
Like alinwa said. Keep magnets away from the scales.
You may have messed up your scales with the magnet.

Ted

well,

I think I fixed the 505 by rubbing on it with a dryer sheet and then cleaning the beam pivot points with a small paint brush and it seems to move much more freely and smoothly now so I think that may have just been static electricity. I like to use them both at the same time sometimes to make sure neither one is lying.

As far as the electronic goes, I am beginning to hate that thing. I left it on the last couple days and when I zero it and remove the pan it reads -143.3 which is normal for that scale. I come back the next morning and it reads -148.6 and there has been nothing weighed on it yet. The thing is all over the place.

Are they affected by room temperature at all? Morning vs Night room temps...ect...ect?

Should I give the other one the dryer sheet treatment?

Thanks for the help fellas!

Jamie

If you want a good digital scale buy a mettler lab balance!!! I have the college model which reads in milligrams but it works great. They do have models that read in grains too!!! I had a 505 scale that got touchy and it turned out to be the knife edge was wearing out.

well,

I think I fixed the 505 by rubbing on it with a dryer sheet and then cleaning the beam pivot points with a small paint brush and it seems to move much more freely and smoothly now so I think that may have just been static electricity. I like to use them both at the same time sometimes to make sure neither one is lying.

As far as the electronic goes, I am beginning to hate that thing. I left it on the last couple days and when I zero it and remove the pan it reads -143.3 which is normal for that scale. I come back the next morning and it reads -148.6 and there has been nothing weighed on it yet. The thing is all over the place.

Are they affected by room temperature at all? Morning vs Night room temps...ect...ect?

Should I give the other one the dryer sheet treatment?

Thanks for the help fellas!

Jamie

Yes they are sensitive to temperature that is why the manufacturers instructions recomend to re zero the scale before every use. I have had 3 different electronic scales so far and the best one I have had has been the RCBS charge master that came with the Charge master automatic loading machine.
I have had a PACT BBK2 Electronic Scale but I was never able to get it to zero and every time I called for support thy told me to get a new battery so after about 10 new batterys I gave up on it.
I also have a Lyman 1000 XP but I don't think much of it. Some times I rezero it 6 or 7 times during a 2 hour reloading session. It is however better than the PACT.
Some scales are definetly better than others.
PS they are sensitive to cordless phones and wind blowing from an AC vent as well, also they seem to be sensitive to dogs barking and your wife thinking about using the charge card.
Ted

A dirty electric source will screw with the digitals too. Some times an appliance or other electric powdered gizmo will corrupt the power in that circiut causing the scale to act up. That`s why a warm calibrated scale will seem to change zero. The bad power supply will screw with it everytime a A/C or washing machine turns on or off.

Back