Rest question

Joe S

I'm now retired, and thinking of upgrading my present 25+ year old rest and bags as my rifles and shooting habits both have changed more to paper punching and less to a quick sight in or load checking for hunting over the last few years.
Browsing the various web stores has got me wondering what exactly do I need in the way of bags and why? I shoot mostly varmint rifles with their thin 2" or so forearms, so front bag width is pretty much known, but how does height fit in? The rear bags with all their Bunny or Rabbit ear styles and heights has me questioning just what they all do too, and how to pick the one best suited for my shooting needs. Is leather best, or does cordura(sp?) have properties better suited as bag material. I'm not looking for strictly bench gun only competition gear, but an idea of what will help me in informal club matches, and general shooting sessions with friends.
Any help or thoughts are welcome

The short ears help on stocks with cheekpieces and cordura seems to be better on rougher stock paint like an hs precision web.

Hmm, my rifles are split about 50/50 as to cheek pieces. I take it the problem is only with contact with the cheek piece at rest, or if it only connects with the cheek piece during recoil are there still downsides? I am thinking I could possibly rest the stock closer to the toe if I was in contact with the rest in a more forward position? or should I just get a short eared bag and call it good?

I'm now retired, and thinking of upgrading my present 25+ year old rest and bags as my rifles and shooting habits both have changed more to paper punching and less to a quick sight in or load checking for hunting over the last few years.
Browsing the various web stores has got me wondering what exactly do I need in the way of bags and why? I shoot mostly varmint rifles with their thin 2" or so forearms, so front bag width is pretty much known, but how does height fit in? The rear bags with all their Bunny or Rabbit ear styles and heights has me questioning just what they all do too, and how to pick the one best suited for my shooting needs. Is leather best, or does cordura(sp?) have properties better suited as bag material. I'm not looking for strictly bench gun only competition gear, but an idea of what will help me in informal club matches, and general shooting sessions with friends.
Any help or thoughts are welcome

Call Protektor Model http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us and ask for the Manager.

He'll point you in the right direction since he's personally catered to shooters in all disciplines of the Shooting Sports. He's made 5 bags for me and modified a couple standard bags when I was experimenting.

He'll design a special bag for your specific needs, if required, and the price will be extremely reasonable and downright economical. Good man, Good people! :)

Call Protektor Model http://protektormodel.com/index.php?main_page=contact_us and ask for the Manager.

He'll point you in the right direction since he's personally catered to shooters in all disciplines of the Shooting Sports. He's made 5 bags for me and modified a couple standard bags when I was experimenting.

He'll design a special bag for your specific needs, if required, and the price will be extremely reasonable and downright economical. Good man, Good people! :)

Thanks, I'll give him a call.

Back