remington 742 and hornady superformance ammunition BIG PROBLEMS

G

gfigs911

Hello folks, first post here but I have a question with those of you who have experience with gunsmithing, or general repair knowledge on guns.
My good friend and I were at the range today and he bought some 165 grain superformance loads to try out of his gun (30-06). He was shooting some remmy core lokts previously and the gun was functioning perfectly, then on the first shot of the hornady, the gun went bang, and a big puff of smoke came out. Well the bolt was seized closed, so we ran it to the gunsmith at gander mountain right away, he pulled it apart, got the stuck case out, and discovered that it blew the back end of the case away, and cracked the bolt. Also may have bent the reciever. The thing that makes me curious is that on the box of ammo it says that chamber pressures are the same, and it doesnt say anything about not using that ammo in a semi-auto type firearm. So, my question is, what should we do? also, is it possible to get parts for this gun anymore? (bolt and possibly receiver) any suggestions are much appreciated. Also, he is sending a letter to hornady to see what they say...
tyler

Tyler....

Howdy,
This is a good place to ask a question like that. This is a shot in the dark, sorta, but with your screen name and rifle, you have an uncanny similarity to someone I know. You don't happen to work in a car factory in Georgetown Kentucky do you?

If so, I will try and help tommorow. If not, sorry, it is a remarkable coincidence. HANG ON TO THE REST OF THAT AMMO, BUT DON'T SHOOT ANY MORE OF IT!!

The folks here that really know what they are talking about should be around to ask some questions and give some advice soon.

Greg

This link will get you started.......but I still hope others give some input.

http://www.hornady.com/ammunition/superformance-in-gas-operated-firearms

Last edited:
bout says it all;

2d7e90p.jpg

Tyler......

haha, nope not me. although interesting nonetheless..

Howdy,
I told your story to the young guy I work with today. You see, just yesterday he was asking about an accuracy issue with his 742 in 30-06. He was shooting 150 grain Rem Corelokts. I told him the usual check base and rings for tightness stuff. Then I suggested he try 165 grain Corelokts. I did not know that the Hornady ammo could potentially cause a problem in a rifle that had not had the gas system tuned for it. When I read your post last night, I was worried about the guy! All I could think was "I hope he is ok!", but since it was not him, I hope that YOU and your friend are ok.

He won't be trying that ammo in his rifle.

Ya know how I said the rifle and your screen name gave you an uncanny similarity to someone I know? Welllllllllllll, the guy's name is Tyler Figgins. He used to be called "Figs" as a nickname!

Hope everything works out!

Greg

Every year I work on a half dozen or so 742's, most of these have extraction problems with cases stuck in the chambers and the rim pulled off by the extractor.
Generaly the problem is rusty chambers,It don't take much. Its hard to get to the chamber area to clean ,so most don;t do it.
Also 742's have reciever and bolt design issues which led to the 7400.
Remington no longer services the 742 and no longer supplies parts.

Chuck.

thanks for the advice folks. Even that excerpt from hornady doesnt say anything about it being dangerous in semi autos with barrels less than 20 inches. regardless, my friend is ok (luckily, if the shell had ejected any further it may have blown the whole bottom of the receiver away along with part of his other hand which was under the gun when he shot). he is currently writing a letter and taking pictures to send to hornady to see what they say. Since remington doesnt service or supply parts for these guns anymore, are there any parts available? a used 742 can be had on gunbroker for about 350 but he only wants to spend that much if necessary. Side note: hes buying a new deer rifle anyways, but the 742 has been in the family for a while so he wants to fix it for sentimental value.)

The old Hornady "light Magnum" loads back in the 80's had a warning to "be shot in fixed breach guns only" on every box.

May-be hornady needs to hire a few guys in there 40s-50s to remember what CYA means.

Thats a hell of a tid-bit for me to hang on to all these years!!

Hey, when this is all over...................

if he wants to make some big money on that 742, tell him to call Gary Schlomer at the Colorado School of Trades. If he writes a description of what happened, they'll probably give him 20 bucks for it.

Remember when you were a kid, how kids had model airplanes hanging from the ceiling in their room (Before the Farrah Fawcett poster, of course) ? Well, thats what they do with

"Firearms Mishap Victims" :eek:

It is unfortunate that the question wasn't asked about this ammo before the trigger was pulled, someone MIGHT have advised against using that. I know I would have. If he gets another similar rifle, tell him that he might:
a) Get a ratchet-type chamber brush, there are two sizes, but there may be others by now, the two were for .308 and 30'06. Always use one on the chamber before its put away; and ALWAYS clean it FIRST THING after it has been fired. Nothing is MORE important. I'm sure he may follow that advice, now.
b) Measure the muzzle of that barrel and go to an...."auto recycler" (junkyard) or an aviation power plants shop, whichever is closer, and get them to sell you some "caplugs" They're red, and look like a little hat, ask for one .020 smaller than the measurement of the muzzle. After the chamber (AND barrel) have been cleaned, put the cap on over the muzzle, and store the muzzle right side up, with the caplug resting on the floor of the safe or cabinet. The barrel and the chamber are now clean, and anything liquid inside will run down and collect in the caplug. HTH ;)

Last edited:
Back