Remington 700 Bolt Stuck

1911Nut

Bolt stuck closed today, can’t open. 25-06 factory extractor, ejector removed.

Pretty sure not a overcharge but seems like extractor is messed up somehow.

Please offer some ideas before I get hammering on the bolt handle.

Thanks!

Bolt stuck closed today, can’t open. 25-06 factory extractor, ejector removed.

Pretty sure not a overcharge but seems like extractor is messed up somehow.

Please offer some ideas before I get hammering on the bolt handle.

Thanks!

Use a long delrin or nylon rod or punch of sorts and hit the back of the bolt shroud. It'll take a pretty good wrap or two but what you're after is to drive the case forward just enough to take some pressure off of the bolt. I'd start there. Hitting the bolt handle is just a bad idea, IMHO.

Use a long delrin or nylon rod or punch of sorts and hit the back of the bolt shroud. It'll take a pretty good wrap or two but what you're after is to drive the case forward just enough to take some pressure off of the bolt. I'd start there. Hitting the bolt handle is just a bad idea, IMHO.

Hitting the bolt handle is a no no.

The bolt handle moves about 1/2 way to open.

I think you're fine...... take the barreled action out of the stock, take the scope off and put 'er in the freezer overnite.

Now try bring the bolt handle clear up. You can be firm with it using only your hands. Don't BANG it up just bring it up until the primary extraction cam actuates. It will most likely click 'er out.

If....and ONLY if .....you get the handle clear up and she's still stuck THEN you can run a rod down the barrel.

If you cannot rotate the handle clear to the top, go to the hardware store and buy a 4ft length of 1/4" steel rod stock. Wrap it with one layer of masking tape. Now you can simultaneously tap on the case while exerting steady pressure on the bolt handle. And maybe even re-freeze it and tap/pressure

All this being said, you DID experience an over-pressure event. Best you should find out WHY once't you get 'er out ;)

Can you elaborate a bit more on when it stuck? After firing? After screwing into stock, etc... thanks

Sorry 1911Nut, I misspoke....... Somehow I was under the impression this was a 270, not a 25-06 (and was too lazy/convinced to go back and check)

A 1/4" rod will not work, might be easier to use a cleaning rod unless you've a comprehensive metal supply in your area. You'd need a 3/16" bar not 1/4"

BTW I tried the barrel pulling idea tonite on a 700. I think that's harder on the extractor than prying the bolt

I use a Dewey rod with the jag removed and sticking it down the barrel peck on the case base with the bolt handle unlatched.

Don't ever take your hand off the rod while it is in the barrel!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

After an overnight Kroil soak the bolt opened.

Need to investigate the cause.

It stuck during load development, less than book max load.

the BOOK was not written based on your rifle, your brass and your lot of powder.
books are GUIDES, not BIBLES.

After an overnight Kroil soak the bolt opened.

Need to investigate the cause.

It stuck during load development, less than book max load.

Back