Remington 513T range report.

Calfed

My youngest son and I shot in a "match-stick" match yesterday. He used an H&R M5200

http://benchrest.com/showthread.php?85198-New-H-amp-R-5200

and I used an old Remington 513T with a Bushnell 3200 10X40 scope.

The match was shot first thing in the morning and it was a bit cold (low 30's) for these parts. Winds were light and variable. Beause of the low temps, we had to get the rifles warmed up and rezeroed. The match was shot off a front sand bag rest with nothing other than your hand for rear support at 50 yards.

Here is my warm up target for the match. Unfortunately, we turned in our official targets.
P1010158.jpg

There were some small bullseye targets above the match sticks, but I gave up trying to re-zero my rifle on them because of the relatively low power scope I was using (10X). Most guys were using 18 to 24 power scopes. I started using the match heads as an aiming point and finally got my rifle back on target. Best group was a 5 shot group fired at the #9 match head....around .39" ctc.

I was using Federal "auto match" ammo.

Last edited:
Those 513t can shoot very well with some attention, biggest drawback has /is the trigger. Never found anything/one that made anything to fit it in the way of a replacement multi-lever type. I have had a couple of the match versions and one sporter over the years.

I was pretty surprised by how well the 513T did. Compared to the trigger on the H&R 5200, the 513T trigger is pretty bad. But I found if I concentrated on a slow squeeze, I could make it work.

This was the first match stick match that the range has put on and there were Ruger 10/22's with heavy barrels, Winchester 52's, an Anschutz match rifle and a couple of others that I didn't get to identify.

I was wondering if the cold temps could have affected the ammo, as well as the rifle.

Better Equipment!

I was pretty surprised by how well the 513T did. Compared to the trigger on the H&R 5200, the 513T trigger is pretty bad. But I found if I concentrated on a slow squeeze, I could make it work.

This was the first match stick match that the range has put on and there were Ruger 10/22's with heavy barrels, Winchester 52's, an Anschutz match rifle and a couple of others that I didn't get to identify.

I was wondering if the cold temps could have affected the ammo, as well as the rifle.

Temperature has a big effect on both! I`m sure they don`t want custom rigs in this match ,but a factory 40X or a Factory Suhl 150 would benefit your results ,triggers in both can improve your results tremendously, the 500 series Remingtons are not for primetime ,the recievers can be flexed with your bare hands and any $ spent on them is a waste other than just to say you own one! I have several just for my collection , just my 2 cents, but spend you $ wisely after seriously potential accurate rimfires, a CZ 452 is about the same $ and superior!

If you want a seriously accurate Renington, there are only Two....The model 37 or 40X.

Temperature has a big effect on both! I`m sure they don`t want custom rigs in this match ,but a factory 40X or a Factory Suhl 150 would benefit your results ,triggers in both can improve your results tremendously, the 500 series Remingtons are not for primetime ,the recievers can be flexed with your bare hands and any $ spent on them is a waste other than just to say you own one! I have several just for my collection , just my 2 cents, but spend you $ wisely after seriously potential accurate rimfires, a CZ 452 is about the same $ and superior!

They had two relays, one was open class...pretty much anything goes...and the other was for semi's.

I'd love to get a Remington 40X and am always on the lookout for a good deal on one. The problem is I'm cheap :)

I've got several decent .22 target rifles, including A Finnish Lion
FinnishLion005-1.jpg

FinnishLion001-1.jpg

BSA Martini's
001-1.jpg

004-1.jpg

martini1-1.jpg

martini-1.jpg

And a Winchester 52

Win52b.jpg

Win52.jpg

I've also got some of the "military trainers", like the 513T, a Winchester 75, Stevens 416, Mossberg 144's. I'm guessing that you probably consider all of them on a par with the 513T

The problem for this match was that I needed a scope to compete and only had scope mounts for the 513T that I shot and the H&R 5200 that my son was using. I'm hoping that Ken Viani will turn out some more of his mounts soon.

In addition to the H&R 5200 I have the military version, the M12. Do you have any experience with them and if so, how would they stack up against the better target rifles?

Thanks

Last edited:
Any opinions on teh various .22 ammo? My son was using the Aquilla CMP black box practice ammo and shot about as well as I did...(well, maybe a little better).

I've heard good things about the S&K and Wolf, but haven't tried any

Any opinions on teh various .22 ammo? My son was using the Aquilla CMP black box practice ammo and shot about as well as I did...(well, maybe a little better).

Look on the ARA indoor Equipment list for the 2012 Indoor nationals , Two shooters shooting Lupua,one is sponsered by Lupua and the other shooter sells Lupua ,The other 80 shooters shot Eley,cause if you think you got a chance of placing in the top ten ! SK,Wolf are all made in the SK plant in Germany which is now owned by Lupua . This is beginng to rhyme isn`t it! In most BR competition you see at least 75% of the rifles are custom actions ,with Turbo leading the pack,the rest is made up of 40X`s ,Suhl`s and a few Anschutz ,ocassionally. Never seen a Martini compete ,but I have in 4 years seen a couple of 52`s. Cheap usally won`t get you on the podium where I shoot, it just depends if you think you would like to win a target or two and a occasional match. If that is nothing that is a must,stick with cheap and maybe you will get lucky and surprise everybody!

I have the Varmint 452 HB

The 452 is being discontinued in favor of the 455 which has the barrel pinned on. the 452 has a threaded reciever and breach,which is much better,there are still new 452`s availible but probably not for long! CZ has been making the transition to the 455 for over a year. The 455 will not lend itself very easily to any after market barrels ,can be done but a lot more $ involved. The 452 is really a accurate little out of the box 22RF. A friend of mine use to be the CZ rep and he got my 452 trigger down to about 4oz,which is also a plus !

Last edited:

A nuber of years ago I bought an H&R from CMP. I found it liked fast ammo and would not shoot the slower, benchrest speed ammo well. In fact, it did not shoot very well at all so I sold it. It has been my experience that the Rimfire Rifles that were built for Position shooting seem to like faster ammo. I suspect is is because of the chambers in them. I believe the position rifles have longer chambers than what is most common in Custom made rifles. Of course, I could be wrong about all of this you understand; woudn't be the first time.

I'm trying to get a handle on whether the Remington 513T and the H&R 5200 are accurate or not....they seem to be making groups in the .40" range @ 50 yards with cheap ammo at 50 yards. I guess I'll need to get some decent target ammo to know what they are capable of.

Guess what I want to know is whether the results so far show promise.

Last edited:
Calfed what kind of mount is that on your 513T? Ive wanted to put a scope on mine for a long time but have not wanted to use the weaver style mounts.

ebb, that is a Ken Vianni mount. It attaches using the rear scope mount block screw holes and the rear sight screw holes...no drilling necessary. Seems very solid.

Ken still makes these and can be reached at

ken1855@hotmail.com

Good luck.

Gregg, It is possible that a 40X and cheap can dance together. We just have to keep our eyes and ears open. A couple years ago John W from our club invited me along for the ride to check out a 40X that was advertized in Uncle Henry's. We drove to Cabela's parking lot, (halfway for both parties) and met up with the seller. John checked out the rifle and decided that it was a little too, pricey. Quietly, I asked him if I could make an offer in that he was not interested. He agreed, so I offered $875, $100 under the asking price. The seller thought a moment and said yes. Since that purchase, I sold the 20X Lyman Super Targetspot to a very happy buyer for $500, and later sold the Freeland 1" tube sight for $300. So as of right now I am into the rifle a crazy $75 plus a little gas and a few phone calls. In the last year or so I have found a relatively early BDL stock with a varmint weight barrel channel, and a original Freeland International stock with all the hardware. The Freeland stock is used, but in pretty nice overall shape. Moral is don't quit looking. If nothing else it can be, "one hell of a lot of fun", and "educational" not to mention "profitable"! Cheers, Charles

Attachments

• 40X.jpg
    40X.jpg
    14.1 KB · Views: 342
Gregg

No it's not an XB, it's an XR. Blue Book says produced 1974 to present. Rimfire, position stock, 24" target weight barrel, wooden stock discontinued in 1989. Barrel on mine is dated 1974, at breech end left side. Original stock is shown in pix, sorry it is so small. Sights that are pictured are the ones that came with purchase. I was told original owner was about our age and came from Waterville area, and shot at Cap City. Sights since have been Redfield international Mk8 and 1" Freeland aperture front, or whatever scope I am messing with. Haven't tested much ammo at various distances, so I don't know if I'll shoot it at 100 and 200 yds. As you know I am 52 poor right now. I do plan on setting up 3 or 4 rifles at those matches hoping that the folks that have expressed an interest in shooting might show up. That way, hopefully they'll have an accurate rifle to shoot. Don't know if you were aware but, first time I shot off a rest was practicing for that 200yd match in 2010, that was John's cheap little Hoppe's rest. I met, talked with Orland, shot his Hunter rifle. Between that and shooting in the 200yd match, I was hooked----ruined for life. A bench rest junkie. Woe is me! So hopefully I'll expose some innocent to the same evil influence, and bring joy into their life! Charles

Back