Rem. XR100 in 223 Field Test

R

rick983

I purchased one of these rifles a year ago and now have found the perfect load for this rifle. I'm using Nosler brass with 25.3 gr of H335 topped off with a Hornady 55 gr V-Max bullet. I consistenly get 3/4" or smaller groups. Not great by benchrest standards abut good enough for varmint shooting. I was sad to learn Remington has quit making the XR100. I've read conflicting reports from shooters on this forum about the rifle. Some swear by them, others swear at them. I guess I got lucky. The only work I've had done on it was to have my gunsmith clean up the trigger. Its wasn't too bad to start with but I like triggers that break like an icicle. I would appreciate hearing someone else's story about theirs. Good shooting!!!! :)

I have one. What little trigger work it needed, I did myself. I use Dakota (lapua) brass and the same load of H335 as you. I still have a stash of Remington bench rest bullets that I shoot when I am serious. My next best bullet is the Sierra 52gr MK. I tried a couple of the different hand made bullets but they seemed to be the wrong length to work in my 1/12 (I think) barrel. I have shot a (as in single) .111 with mine but 3/4" would be more realistic. When I got it, I shot my first factory match using some generic ammo I had on hand and I agg'ed a .7?? for 5 five shot groups and won the match. I'm sure an honest to goodness bench shooter with controlled breathing and all that could do better but I like mine and have a lot of fun shooting what for me is little bitty holes in targets. :D
I don't understand why Remington stopped making them. I understand they were selling like hot cakes.

Xr100 .223

I shoot 52 grain Nosler custom competition bullets and get .5 to .750 in groups consistently. Someday I will bush the firing pin as the hole is a little sloppy. Other than that it is a really good factory rifle.

Roger Q.

Xr-100/223

I also own a Rem XR-100/223. It will shoot with great precision
when tuned properly.

My XR has a Leupold 20x50x50 (boosted by Premier) mounted on it
and Jewel BR trigger which helps alot.

I got it to agg in the high 3's awile back using Lapua match grade
brass, Bart's 52gr F/B bullets, Fed205M primers, VitaVouri 133 (use
the VV manual) and benchrest wind flags. (100 yards)

I will out shoot my Sako Varminter 243 with no problem.The Sako
costs twice as much as the XR. It can compete with 40x's and
Coopers if the rifle is in tune.

I would have been nice if Remington would have offered it in a 6BR. ;)

For the money I think it is the best factory rifle on the market. IMHO

Last edited:
Rick983: I have three of the wonderful XR-100 Rifles. One each in calibers 204 Ruger, 223 Remington and 22-250 Remington.
Each and every one of these Rifles came out of the box shooting extremely well!
Load development for each was next to instantaneous! In other words they all shot all the loadings I made up for them extremely well!
Specifically the last four groups I made with the 204 XR-100 AVERAGED .380" (groups were 5 shots at 100 yards).
I have a Leupold 8.5x25 variable on this XR-100.
My XR-100 in 223 Remington is on a roll as well - this Rifle also uses a Leupold 8.5x25 variable and I went with LaPua brass and the 52 gr. Berger bullets in it.
The AVERAGE of all groups (5 shots at 100 yards) I have made with this Rifle to date measures .378". This average includes all load development groups!
With this all stock factory Rifle on a dead calm and impressively cold January day here in SW Montana 2 years ago I shot the smallest group I have ever made with a factory Rifle in more than 40 years of group shooting.
That group (5 shots at 100 yards) measured .121"!
My third XR-100 Rifle is in 22-250 Remington caliber. I mounted a Leupold 6.5x20 on it and used only 52 gr. Bergers in this Rifle during load development. The average of all groups I have fired to date with this Rifle to date comes to .462"!
To say I have been happy with the accuracy and consistency of my XR-100 Rifles would be a definite understatement.
Several of my friends and shooting buddies have XR-100 Rifles and to a person they have all been happy with their performances.
About a week ago I spotted a bunch of XR-100 Rifles being "blown out" by a gunshop using the Gunbroker.com forum to sell the Rifles.
They were offering the Rifles at auction but the "buy now" price was $629.00!
I spread the word as best I could to all my friends and cronnies.
At that price (or maybe a person could get one of these Rifles even cheaper at auction!) I consider that investment to be an unbeatable value for a Varminting Rifle!
If I had a little bit more mad money on hand I would be a player for these guns.

333smitty: I agree with your assessment of the XR-100 completely - "for the money I think its the best factory Rifle on the market"!
If I were to buy another XR-100 I would be hard pressed to choose which of the 3 (well actually 4!) calibers to go with. I think I would opt for another XR-100 in 22-250 Remington caliber - only because my other two XR-100's have the smaller bolt face and another large bolt face Rifle may come in handy down the line when and if re-barreling comes into play.

Beemanbeme: I agree wholeheartedly with you regarding WHY Remington suspended production of this Rifle?
It's a puzzle to me.
Alas all my Remington 52's are gone (sent downrange!) as of many years ago. Those were great bullets.
Is your XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington?

Rafw: Wow and congratulations on your .115" grouping - good for you and keep up the good work. Is your XR-100 in caliber 223 Remington?
I am happy that you are enjoying your American made Rifle!
I am going to check out your links after I post this.

Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Yes, .223. I also have to add, mine cleans up as easy or easier than any other rifle I own. Including a couple of custom barrelled ones. And has from the get go.

Rafw: I went to and enjoyed very much your linked sites. I only wish I could speak (read!) Polish.
I especially enjoyed the pictures of your XR-100.
What brand of scope is that you have on your XR-100?
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy
PS: In answering an off line E-mail I noticed I forgot to mention that apparently Remington offered a non-cataloged XR-100 in caliber 308 Winchester. This is the fourth caliber offered in the XR-100 for anyone else who did not know this.
I am a little hesitant now to try for one of these limited run 308's.
When I first heard about the 308 XR-100 I thought I would like to have one.
I have since cooled on the idea.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

VarmintGuy

The Remington XR-100/308 is only availible thru the Gander Mountain
stores....

If you still want one have a rep run a gun search on the computer for
you......

Last edited:
VarmintGuy: I use Nikon Monarch 6-20x or Weaver T36 on my Xr100 (Im switching scopes with my second rifle.

I bought one of the Gander Mtn XR's in .308 not knowing it was a special run. The local store had it on clearance for $580 IIRC. I thought it looked cool so I bought it. It shot great right out of the box with factory Rem match ammo. :D

It wears a Weaver T-36 now and it's the most accurate rifle I have ever owned.

Talon1959

Bring your good shootin XR-100/308 out to our next Varmint For Score
club match (informal) Oct 5th at the Tomball Gun Club.

We have a factory class you can compete in. You will have a good
time. :)

Look for details about a week before on the Benchrest Forum.

Vic

Yote: Interesting auction/situation on that arm.
If I were to buy one I would go for a new in the box 308.
Thanks for the link though.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Bring your good shootin XR-100/308 out to our next Varmint For Score
club match (informal) Oct 5th at the Tomball Gun Club.

We have a factory class you can compete in. You will have a good
time. :)

Look for details about a week before on the Benchrest Forum.

Vic

Thanks for the invite! I'd like to shoot at Tomball. :D

I guarentee that will be fun. Be sure and do us XR100 owners proud. :D

Back