rem varmint contour barrel

If you leave all of that 1.200 dimension on, I think it will be Ok. Not as heavy as a typical HBR taper, but not far behind.

My big concern would be that brand of barrel. Lothar Walthar would not be by first choice fo a barrel intended for extreme accuracy shootind as required in VFS.

Johan, Some time ago

i can buy one of these barrels for a good price
rem varmint to build a VFS/hunter gun in 30 BR twist 17/1
s it any good ore is compaired to a "normal "contour barrel

http://www.lothar-walther.com/348.php

Dan Lilja did a study of barrel stiffness, based on profile, It was very enlightening. The stiffest was what we all would expect, straight 1.25" or 1.5" cylinder. But second stiffest was not HV, it was HBR taper. And any of the compound taper, factory taper barrels were way flimsy in comparison.

See ya in St. Louis.

David

A Remington Varmint barrel that is .835" at 26" from the breech is not a legal HBR contour under NBRSA and IBS rules. .750" at 26" is the maximum allowed. I'm not sure if you're building to rules of a particular organization, but it will be capable of shooting just fine. It's fine for VFS.

Last edited:
i got a 30 x47 for hbr. it wil be for VFS

If you are worried about being legal James Lederer told you correctly in the previous post.
Originally you said something about a good price, It would have to be an awfully good price to be worthwhile in my mind.
Dick

PS: as Jackie said it would not be my first choice, or for that matter second.

Last edited:
From a legality

If you are worried about being legal James Lederer told you correctly in the previous post.
Originally you said something about a good price, It would have to be an awfully good price to be worthwhile in my mind.
Dick

PS: as Jackie said it would not be my first choice, or for that matter second.

standpoint, the HBR is squeaky clean. And wedding stiff. And can make weight in LV easier than most LV barrels, in longer length that many prefer.

A Remington Varmint barrel that is .835" at 26" from the breech is not a legal HBR contour under NBRSA and IBS rules. .750" at 26" is the maximum allowed. I'm not sure if you're building to rules of a particular organization, but it will be capable of shooting just fine. It's fine for VFS.

But, this may be one of those counter intuitive scenarios! The Rem.Vt. contour, crowned, at, say, 22", will probably fit inside the silhouette defined by the maximum Hunter contour of the same length: maximum allowable cylinder ahead of the bolt-face (4.0" long, by 1.250" diameter)!:eek:;) Many years ago, I carried a chip-board silhouette cut to the maximum (NBRSA) contour, using all of the 4" allowable shank length - as I recall, a Rem. Varmint contour would fit inside, thus, making it legal . . . but, I'm old and forgetful . . . and could be wrong. Oh, I carried it because people were always telling my my barrels were not legal - "too fat at muzzle" - well, not when the barrel was 20-21" long!:p RG

Very true Randy. I just did a quick drawing and it looks like the sweet spot where a Remington Varmint and a HBR contour intersect is at 21.107". Of course there is a little variation from barrel maker to barrel maker. But one would probably be safe in the 21" to 22" range.

Very true Randy. I just did a quick drawing and it looks like the sweet spot where a Remington Varmint and a HBR contour intersect is at 21.107". Of course there is a little variation from barrel maker to barrel maker. But one would probably be safe in the 21" to 22" range.

Thank for the calculation, James!:) It's good to learn that some facets of my memory bank are still in order - now, the short-term stuff is REALLY poor!:p RG

Back