Rem. bolt head

B

B.Johnson

When fitting a Rem. bolt with a Savage bolt head, how do you remove the Rem bolt head?

Ace Hardware hack-saw?

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, I'd like to know how to do that too.

Roy

Or I could buy a new one from PT&G

It's not that complicated for someone with a lathe and the smarts to do precision work. A few years ago there were a couple of threads on the 6mm BR forum that described and showed the steps.

I wasn't kidding about the hack-saw.

ray

If you look down a Rem. bolt with a bore scope. It looks just like savage bolt, but held with some type of solder instead of a cross pin.

Rem bolt heads, the older ones anyway, were a seperate piece secured with a cross pin. The pin is hard to see, but it's there. I can't say how the newer ones are attached.

In addition to replacing a Rem bolt head with a Savage, a long Rem bolt can be shortened using a similar procedure.

Ray

According to Otteson's first book "The Bolt Action", Rem bolt heads were fixtured with a pin and then copper brazed ( along with the bolt handles) at about 2000°F in a furnace. Subsequent heat treating ran about 1600° so the braze joint was unaffected.

RWO

Looking down the bolt where you can see the bolt head body. I can see a hole like the savage bolt head where it uses a cross pin. This hole is not used, but you can see the solder spatter. I want to remove the Rem. head with the least danger of damage. I know my way around a lathe, and a mill. Bye the way, my scope is not a Hawkeye. It is a cystoscope medical scope.

Back