Rem 700 action question

B

BenKeith

Will an older 700 ADL, 270 Win. action be strong enough for a 7mm Mag or do they use a beefier action for the magnum's?

I bought an old 700 to build a 6.5-284 from but have been told that cartridge vibrates the barrel to much to be really accurate when using a medium weight varmit barrel. I've always liked the way my BAR 7MM Mag shoot's but being left handed, I've never cared for the fact, being a semi, it ejects the shell across my face. So, I'm thinking of just using the action to build me a bolt action 7mm Mag.

Why not have a 6.5/.284? Cause the ctg vibrates the barrel to much? There are 1,000's of shooters using this same action and ctg in competition that are unaware of this fact. I would use a 6.5-.284 any day over the more costly conversion of the 7mm Remington mag.

You do have a major bolt/extractor modification to face with a conversion from a std bolt face and extractor to a 7mm mag bolt face or buy a new bolt.

Will an older 700 ADL, 270 Win. action be strong enough for a 7mm Mag or do they use a beefier action for the magnum's?

I bought an old 700 to build a 6.5-284 from but have been told that cartridge vibrates the barrel to much to be really accurate when using a medium weight varmit barrel. I've always liked the way my BAR 7MM Mag shoot's but being left handed, I've never cared for the fact, being a semi, it ejects the shell across my face. So, I'm thinking of just using the action to build me a bolt action 7mm Mag.
Just wondering, who was this genius that told you the 6.5/284 is not accurate?? I guess many 1000 yard BR shooters need to hear that important news.

Remington makes the Long Action for cartridges like the 280 Rem, 30/06, 7mm Rem Mag, 270 Winchester, 300 Win Mag and several other magnum cartridges. They make a Short Action for the 223 Rem, 22-250 Rem, 6mm Rem, 243 Win, etc.

If you plan on building on the M700 action the only things you need to consider is the action length required based on the cartridge you plan to use and the bolt face required for that cartridge.

For example, the 270 Rem you mention requires a different bolt face than the 7mm Rem Mag. However, there are many good gunsmiths that can safely open up that 270 bolt face to accommodate the 7 Mag. You do need the M700 Long Action, as you apparently have, for this chambering.

Sorry Big Al, I was typing while you were posting. I type slow since I have only one toe!! At any rate we gave him about the same info.

Sorry Big Al, I was typing while you were posting. I type slow since I have only one toe!! At any rate we gave him about the same info.

Thank goodness we use one toe, but not the same toe.

Jerry I had to respond when I saw the 6.5-.284 being bashed. I have found the ctg to be anything but bad. I just wish I could get more life out of a barrel.

Maybe it's those nasty barrel vibrations due to the ctg? All this time I thought it was just trying to get all the speed I could out of the bullet. :D

I didn't mean to make it sound like I was bashing the 6.5 284. I love what I've read about it, that's why I was wanting to build one. It just sounds like I was miss informed on another site.

The 6.5-284 was my initial plan because of it's ballistics. Other than looking at the ballistics, and reading about what it's doing in benchrest competitions, I know nothing about this cartridge. I posed the question about building the 6.5 284 on another site and they made it sound like without a heavy target barrel you don't get the accuracy out of it.

I was wanting it as a utility gun, something to deer hunt with, shoot coyotes, wild dogs etc and targets with. I don't want a 18 pound rifle, more like a five pound SS varmit barrel from Krieger, Lilja or Broughton. I do however expect whatever I build to shot fairly snugg 3 - 5 shot groups.

Something between my 6mm I luv to shot and the 7MM Mag.

I'm already having a 260 built for my granddaughter and was looking for something with a little more for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Ben, if you go 6.5x284 you might want to use the long(270) action so you can set the bullets out long(ie: to the rifling), i used a long and can load the BDL mag, my buddy went the short action route and his is a single shot due to the cartridge length,,,,,,,,,,

the wind is my friend,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

DD

The initial, primary purpose of buying this 270 was for the action to build a 6.5 284 and I got the long action so I could use full length bullets and load the magazine.

I guess my question now is back to my original plans I posted on the other board sorta shot me down. If I build a 6.5 284, using a 24" - 26" medium weight varmit barrel weighing approx 5 pounds, will it shoot .25" or better five shot groups at 100 yards? My intitial plans were to use a Broughton 5C, 5 LT Varmit sporter or 5.5 Med Varmit Sporter with a 1:8 twist. I plan to have the action accurized with Rx squared, bolt lugs squared and laped, and bolt face squared. Also pilar post and glass bed the action with free floating barrel. This has been my basic setup on all my rifles, and the same thing I'm having done to my granddaughters 260. This is the first time I've thought about trying the Broughton barrel.

Ben,

If built and loaded right the 6.5x284 will certainly shoot .25moa or better at 100 yards. A friend of mine uses one for Deer Hunting here in Louisiana. His rifle has a Broughton 1-8 barrel and he uses the 140 Berger VLD's with RL-22. It shoots little dots at 100 yards, .1's to be exact.

If someome says the 6.5x284 isnt a shooter they're sadly mistaken.

Thank goodness we use one toe, but not the same toe.

Maybe it's those nasty barrel vibrations due to the ctg? All this time I thought it was just trying to get all the speed I could out of the bullet. :D
Big Al, I've never had a 6.5/284 but I have shot out a few 6/284's on pigs. It seems that the IMR (and H) powders are more barrel friendly than the RL's.

Further reading for BenKeith if he hasn't already come across it.

http://www.6mmbr.com/sixfive284.html

Thanks Roscoe

So, using the light or medium varmit Broughton barrel is a go.

This is not an immediate project but if I can't find a gunsmith in Ga that's a few hours driving distance and does the work you do, you are #1 on my list to ship it to if I have to ship it off. So, if you say it will work, I'm back to my original plans of building the 6.5 284.

This is not an immediate project but if I can't find a gunsmith in Ga that's a few hours driving distance and does the work you do, you are #1 on my list to ship it to if I have to ship it off. So, if you say it will work, I'm back to my original plans of building the 6.5 284.
IMO, one of the best gunsmiths in your area both in benchrest, hunting, and long range is Col. Billy Stevens at http://www.stevensaccuracy.com/ over in Brundidge, AL. I don't know where you are located but Col. Billy is about 2 hours SW of Columbus, GA.

Ben

As has been said, there is absolutly no difference in the strength level of a Rem 700 action that was initially chambered in 270, 700mag, or 300 Ultra Mag, or even 416 Rem Mag. They are all the same basic action, the only difference being the bolt face diameter and a few mods in the magazine rails to assist in feeding.

I do think your expectations might be a little high. ".250 or smaller groups" at 100 yards is a pretty tall order for just about any chambering, and is accomplished only when matching the finest in components. By finest, I mean those designed specifically for target work. A bullet more suitable for the purpose you have in mind might not be capable of achieving that level of accuracy, but when shooting at live targets, other considerations that encompass down range performance must be met

Strange as it might sound, I would consider the 6.5x55. Looks like it fits your initial requirements toa "T", and you get to work with some of the finest brass on the planet, .......jackie

Last edited:
Ben,
I was interested in having a 6.5x284 bbl. done to fit the Neika K action of my Palma rifle back when Randy Gregory built it in 2000. However, the more I read about how much of a barrel-burner that cartridge is, the more I looked into going with a smaller, more efficient 6.5 cartridge. I wound up having a local 'smith fit & chamber a 30" Krieger 1:8 tw. std. Palma blank for 6.5x55.

I've never had cause to regret that choice - the Swede will push S142MKs or Lapua 139 Scenars to just over 2900fps with N160, and accuracy at 1000yds. is all a prone shooter could ask for. As far as I'm concerned, the only downside to the 6.5 Swede is that its case body taper requires fairly regular case trimming, even when I'm careful not to bump shoulders more than absolutely necessary to insure easy chambering.

I guess we were both attracted to the 6.5x284 for many of the same reasons - most namely, the cartridge's reputation for excellence in LR competition. However, high velocity exacts a price in barrel life, and after seeing how well the 6.5x55 shoots at 600-1000yds., I've pretty well lost the desire to try a 6.5x284, even though I now do my own barreling work.

Curiousity about the 6.5 Swede's case capacity eventually got the best of me - I purchased a 6.5x55 Ackley Imp. reamer, and have fitted & chambered a 30" Bartlein 1:8.5tw heavy Palma for a BAT 3LL prone rifle. So far, it looks like the AI version will give me only another 50-60fps in velocity, at the cost of using an additional 10% more powder than the std. 6.5x55. That puts the AI version's loads right up against what most shooters use in the 6.5x284, so barrel life probably won't be much - if any - better. The best feature(s) of the Ackley version IMHO is that it won't needed trimmed much - if ever - and it's a really neat-looking cartridge.

Now if I can only manage to fireform the quantity of brass needed for match use before the barrel is toast....probably need to invest in a hydraulic forming die from Lonnie Hummel.

I'll quote a highly respected custom barrel maker. "A barrel's contour has nothing to do with a rifle's accuracy."

Now, that's sure to stir up a hornet's nest, so allow me to back up a little. If you shoot a 20 shot group from a 338 Lapua Magnum with a #3 sporter barrel chances are things are going to start going to hell around shot #6 or 7. I think we can all see why.

HOWEVER.

All things being equal the rifle shot just fine until the barrel starts resembling a cooling rod at 3 mile island.

The 6.5-284 is a pet favorite cartridge of mine. I've long advocated it and I've built more guns using this chamber then I care to count. They've ranged from light weight coyote rifles to purpose built F class guns.

All shoot exceptionally well when used within the parameters they were designed for. Use a premium 8.5ROT barrel, load the bugger with 55 grains of H4831SC, a 210 Federal primer, Lapua/Norma case, and squash a 140 grain widget bullet in the neck and it'll pound the X-ring very similar to the way a 16 year old pounds his fist in the shower. If you choose to use your Remington action, just have it built by someone that understands how to build an accurate rifle. This is for two reasons.

1. It'll shoot well.
2. He (the smith) will inspire confidence in you so that you can shoot it well. Few things will "crack" a shooter faster than a rifle he/she has no confidence in.

Good luck,

Chad

Chad Dixon
LongRifles, Inc.

Build the 6.5-06 on your 700 action . The 6.5-06 is as good as the 284 and you can make your brass from 25-06 cases by just running through the 6.5-05 dies and the case feeds just like the 270 in your action. The 6.5-06 is one of the most under rated big game round you can chamber for.

As has been said, there is absolutly no difference in the strength level of a Rem 700 action that was initially chambered in 270, 700mag, or 300 Ultra Mag, or even 416 Rem Mag. They are all the same basic action, the only difference being the bolt face diameter and a few mods in the magazine rails to assist in feeding.

I do think your expectations might be a little high. ".250 or smaller groups" at 100 yards is a pretty tall order for just about any chambering, and is accomplished only when matching the finest in components. By finest, I mean those designed specifically for target work. A bullet more suitable for the purpose you have in mind might not be capable of achieving that level of accuracy, but when shooting at live targets, other considerations that encompass down range performance must be met

Strange as it might sound, I would consider the 6.5x55. Looks like it fits your initial requirements toa "T", and you get to work with some of the finest brass on the planet, .......jackie

OK, OK OK. Jackie has gotten down to the real dirt. I'll admit to having a stable of 6.5mm various chamberings, been fascinated by the clamber since my first taste back in the real early sixties.

Lots of gun nuts got bitten bad by the chambering because of this long bullets and shooting across canyons in the big west. After dicking around with all these different chamberings, the 6.5X55 has a special place and should be considered at the top of the heap. It has earned my top place among all my go to carry around rifles. Mine is in a CRF action and I built it to suit me. This ctg has put a lot of meat in the freezer and has done so with little effort on the 6.5X55 ctg, it sure makes you a believer in long barrel life. The finest brass in this world is made for this chambering, all the important things that reamer makers need to know is old hat for the brass. Great barrels are sure easy to find. It is the easiest of all ctgs to make shoot.

The biggest mistake I see is going cheap on components for this old work horse, it's not like you will get tired of the chambering, it is a real satisfaction bringer.

Thanks for all the great inputs.

Traveling all over the world for 23 years in the military, most of that overseas, kept me out of shooting for many years (other than tons of M-16, M-60 and 40mm MK-19 trigger time) but now that I've got a 13 year old granddaughter interested, I'm dusting of the cobweebs and getting back into it. Intrigued with the way the 6.5 has caught on, I went with the 260 for her build and was impressed with what I've read about the 6.5 284 for me.

As for confidence, I don't have to worry about any caliber or rifle shaking that. I can shoot and shoot very well, even though I haven't done any other than military for a while.

Not sure why the .25" groups should be out of the question. I have a boat load of guns and every bolt action rifle I own will do that for the first three shots and other than a couple, they will do it for five shots. I never just sit and pop caps in rapid fire. Other than rare occassions just to check a load, I never even make three consecutive shots. I you don't hit it the first shot, other than a target, most likely anything else is not going to be still standing there for a second and third shot.

I have a 45 year old 22 cal (222 1/2) benchrest rifle that still shoots great if I just want to practice and poke holes in a piece of paper at 100 - 200 yds and a 6mm for longer practice.

I've always enjoyed shooting my 6mm out to 400 - 500 yds and the 7mm Mag even being a semi did very well out to 1,000. My initial thoughts were to build a 7mm Mag bolt action before I started doing the research. The more I studied the 6.5-284, it looked like it was kicking the 7mm Mags butt at that range. As for the short barrel life, that's not a real concern, I doulbt If I would shoot it enough in a number of years to burn out the barrel. Besides, almost anything that's going to make a great, flat shooting, long range rifle is going to have such a high velocity, it's going to eat barrels. Granted the 6.5 seems to eat them a little faster, but that's life, barrel makers can always make another. The last time I replaced the barrel on my 6mm, I ordered two because I was going through one a year then and didn't want to for one to be made.

From what I've read, the 6.5 55 seemed to be about the same as the 260.

700 Rem

Ben,
If you looking for a accurate and more poweful cartridge why not have a barrel chambered for the 280 Ackley.This will allopw you to use your 700 with no modifications and gives you the ballisitics than will almost match the 7mm Mag without the need for a belted case and all you have to do to get brass is to fire standard 280 Rem ammo and when the case comes out of the chamber just buy a set of 280 Ack loading dies and reload with data from any good manual.
I have built several of these guns and they are great.
Nick

Well, I was primarly interested in the 6.5mm. I have a 6mm, a 270 (besides the one I bought for the doner rifle), a 7mm Mag, a 30-06 and a 300 win Mag, and a 260 that will be here shortly. I've just liked what I've been reading about the different 6.5's and their are a ton of bullet choices out their for that caliber so I think you could load it for just about any kind of shooting you're heart desires out to 1000 yds and still be very accurate.

Back