Reloader 17

B

BenKeith

Have many of ya'll tried it. Going by their adds, it's suppose to work better than 4350 in the 6mm Rem and Rem 260. I shoot these a lot and was thinking of trying it. Just wondering if many have tried it and if what they claim is true, does it work better? The 4350 works mighty good for me but I've been loading it for over 40 years so thought I might try some of these new generation powders.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeahh me too!!!!!

I just bought 10lb of it here at the local Wholesale Sports, and I see PVI has it in. I opened it up to check kernel size but that's about it. 8mo ago it was like gold around here ;)

I'm hoping it shoots like 4350 and meters better.... but I'm NO HELP for you right now Ben!

Merry Christmas though....

al

I found it gave me ~ 50 fps more velocity then IMR4350 with what appeared to similar pressure in both my `06 and 6.5x284. Thats just one small sample though.

I would like to know how it stacks up in the .375 H&H compared to 4350. I would like to lay in a case or two of kegs if it is better.

It's good stuff but you'll get better performance out of IMR4007ssc. It's smaller kernels and you can get more powda in thar. Not to mention it's a bit cleaner and single based to boot. Best of everything!

Here's another anecdotical cpmparison, not with H-4350, but rather H-4831.
Via a PacNor, 1:10" twist, 23" long, #3 contour barrel, chambered for the .257 Ackley Imp., my 'old' pet load, using H-4831, and 110 GR. bullets, shot over an Oehler chronograph, cenetred 15' from the muzzle, depending upon the day, produced average of 3070 -3080 FPS. The load consisted of a nicely compressed charge, but as measured by bolt-lift and case-life, was a mild load, which produced sub 0.5" 5-shot 100 Yd. groups. A pretty decent hunting load.

I was very surprised by the RL-17!:eek: Every thing the same, except for the powder, the old reliable Oehler records average 15' velocity at 3333 FPS - a whopping 250 FPS gain!:) The grouping was not quite as tight, opening up to 0.6" for five-shot groups - the mule deer and pronghorn didn't complain.;)

For most of the '09 tournament season (Hunter Class), I shot a 25x47 LAPUA, using H-4007, which shot rather well - competitively that is. I never got around to chronographing the 25x47, but of note, it shot the smallest AGGs with H-4350, RL-17, and H-4007, all at the same charge weight!:D But, the H-4007 was the 'AGG Winner', so I used it all summer. Oh, all showed 'pressure' symptoms at about the same charge weights - via the BAT actioned HBR rig, 'pressure' is when the bolt-lift becomes noticibly 'sticky'. In none of my 'testing', in several cartridges, did I get the best AGGING using the RL-17 . . .sometimes, respectable, but never clearly, 'THE BEST'. :D RG

Back