Reduced Loads for 6Br?

Leeroy

Machinest / Gunsmith
G'day Guys..

If after some info on making some reduced loads in my 6mm BR.
I'm trying to get down to arround 1300-1400 FPS.
Can anyone sudgest a starting load for Burger 95 Gn VLD using AR2208
(Varget)?

Ive read that reduced loads can sometimes increase pressure spikes when firind but this was a long time ago and i can't remember the details.

You are probably wondering why i would want velocities that low??
Just doing some experimenting on measuring bullet BC.

Thanks

Leeroy

You may have a problem going that slow with that bullet.

If you slow down enough you no longer have the rotational velocity (Revolutions per minute) which is the main factor governing stability. Half the velocity so half the RPM, same as the normal velocity in a twist rate half as fast, more or less.

You would probably need a much lighter bullet to get as slow as you want and still be stabe, probably something like a 70 odd grain bullet.

AR2208 isn't going to be the powder to use either, much to slow. I have had good results with AP70 in small cases like the 22 Hornet, 17 Ackley Hornet and 17 Mach IV as well as a 308 and AP100 in cases the size of the 223.

In a 223 I used 10 grains AP100 with a 50 grain bullet and in a 308 I used 10 grains AP70 with a 110 grain bullet. Both shot very well.

I can't take responsibility for this because it is just a gut instinct but I'd suggest that something like 10 - 12 grains AP100 or 6 - 8 grains AP70 with a 70 grain bullet would get a nice mild accurate reduced load, maybe not as slow as you want however. I'd start at 10 grains AP100 and 6 grains AP70.

ADI Trail Boss would also be good since it is bulky, you want a powder that takes up a lot of space in the case.

Don't use any fillers.

Bryce

Thanks for the reply Bryce.

Thinking about it, you are most likely right. I don't think my 8 twist barrel is going to stablise a 95 Grainer going that slow.

I might still give it a go though just to see. The load dosn't have to be very accurate at all, as long as they fly straight and i can get 5 shots between the poles of my chronograph at 100 yards i'd be happy.

Thanks again
Leeroy

Back