Recycled Benchrest Barrel for Ruger Precision Rifle?

RCE1

I have a number of premium long range benchrest barrels that were taken off after a single competition season and are in pretty fine shape, once the chamber end and throat has been removed. I wanted to put one onto my Ruger Precision Rifle in a .243 Lapua based cartridge that has done pretty well at long range. I've profiled and chambered a couple of barrels with some success, but have not tried making one for the RPR, which is a little different in that it has a flange just past the threads for a barrel nut to bear on. Anybody worked with barrels for these rifles? Any tips on best practices? I feel a little abashed asking basic questions of this group, but my mentor, Stu Harvey, thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks for your attention.

I have a number of premium long range benchrest barrels that were taken off after a single competition season and are in pretty fine shape, once the chamber end and throat has been removed. I wanted to put one onto my Ruger Precision Rifle in a .243 Lapua based cartridge that has done pretty well at long range. I've profiled and chambered a couple of barrels with some success, but have not tried making one for the RPR, which is a little different in that it has a flange just past the threads for a barrel nut to bear on. Anybody worked with barrels for these rifles? Any tips on best practices? I feel a little abashed asking basic questions of this group, but my mentor, Stu Harvey, thought it would be a good place to start. Thanks for your attention.

I am really interested in the Ruger Precision Rifle as well.

I have watched about every YouTube video out there, and am yet to find one with anyone actually Machining a barrel for one. All are using pre machined barrels from various suppliers.

As best I can tell, the shoulder is more for firmly seating the front guarded mount than anything else. It does not relate to the barrel installation, as the nut does not seat against it. The nut seats against the action face.The barrel installs just like a Savage, which, since it is mounted in a conventional stock does not need that shoulder.

Last edited:
That's what I was thinking. My barrels would finish out at 26-27" once the old chamber is cut off and they're nearly 1.25" diameter.

I've seen that schematic. Until I take my factory barrel off, I've been using that for my nominal dimensions.

So you think the ring is superfluous? I heard someone say they were working on a means of eliminating the ring, but not how it worked out.

That's what I was thinking. My barrels would finish out at 26-27" once the old chamber is cut off and they're nearly 1.25" diameter.

I've seen that schematic. Until I take my factory barrel off, I've been using that for my nominal dimensions.

So you think the ring is superfluous? I heard someone say they were working on a means of eliminating the ring, but not how it worked out.

Not superfluous, I just don't think it has anything to do with the securing of the barrel in the receiver.

Since the forearm assy is an integral part of this Rifle, that shoulder secures the nut that all of the forearm assy hangs off off.

Last edited:
They use a standard ar15 for arm and barrel nut. I turned one into a prone rifle for a friend with a compass lake match rifle forend. When installing it I looked at the barrel, the "shoulder" could easily be made like an ar 15 barrel extension that threads onto the end of the barrel like a bushing.

Back