Recoil Lug ?

A

Any22

I have had an old bench rest rifle that shoots pretty fair but I hated the stock. this is a 700 short action with an aluminum sleeve Sleeve & bbl. stampede shillen . Cal. 222 Apparently does not have a tight neck as a lapua brass fits no neck turning. Well I had a 40 x Mcmillian stock that I had milled out to fit the rec. This gun Has no recoil lug , orignally had 3 action screws that were pillar bedded. Now I have 2 that are pillar bedded. What say ye all . is this goin to work I just got it back & the machinist is real skeptical. but in 222 I cant see this being a prob. I will Shoot It But Value the opinions of you people.

GEEEEEZZZZ Dont anyone even have an opinion , Im not goin to try & hold anyone responsible????

It could work...

I shoot the deuce...
It could work with a low recoil caliber like the .222 ...
The best test is going to the range and shooting...
Keep us posted...
the colonel...

Any,

you don't really give enough information.... you say it's "sleeved"...... does this sleeve have a thickened vertical section at the rear tang? Many sleeves offer several support surfaces which can be termed "recoil lugs"..... what does yours have? I've never seen a sleeve that's open on the bottom so my guess is that there's something more than the factory tang to work with? Howsabout crosscuts in the sleeve?? If none, can you make some??

I say bolt it together and go. WORST case it won't shoot and will maybe chip out a little hunk at the rear of the tang. It shore ain't gonna' jump out and bite you! :)

more info?

al

I think if you've got enough bedding behind the tang to use as a recoil lug, you're good to go.

Still havent gotten to the range. The bottom is totally flat & yes it has a thick rear thats wide. In the orig. stock this was prob. the recoil lug. in the new stock it doesnt have any stock back there. . I have never messed with a glue in,seems VERY permanent to me. Thanks for the Replys , I was beginning to think I had ask such a stupid question that yall couldnt quit laughin long enough to reply!!!!

How hard would it be to hash some skidmarks across't the bottom? All's ya need is some traction.

al

Back